X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How low is to high

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:
    what is a good height
    or a bad height for a cj5 to be before it becomes "top heavy". i have been told a couple of times that my "orange" is top heavy as i have put her on her side twice now? any knowledge on the subject out there.
    BIRD WATCHING IS FOR THE FOLKS THAT DON'T HAVE JEEPS.

Early CJs have a decidedly narrow track (wheelbase width) so it's more easy to get the center-of-gravity too high on them than it is on a Wrangler that has a much wider track.

Something you can do to help the narrow wheelbase issue is to go with an aftermarket wheel that has less backspacing, like one with 3.25" to 3.75" of backspacing. The less backspacing, the wider the wheel's stance is. That makes the wheels protrude out of the wheelwells more but that's just how it works. Also going with a wider wheel like from 15x7 to 15x8 if your tires are big enough, will also widen the track (2" in that case).

Part of it also has to be if you're carrying heavy stuff up high that could also be raising the center-of-gravity higher than it could be.

How tall of a lift do you have and what size tires are you running? Do you know what the width and backspacing of the wheels is that you're running?
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

jerry to be honest with you i have done a SOA and a further 1" body lift on her. there is a set of 33" hankooks on and the steel rim have been modified. if i can get the pic to show you will see what i mean. the inside of the tire is almost in line with the front brake disc meaning i can change brake pads without taking the wheel off. the rims were purpose built by a buddy to give his cj more turn as you will know 5's cant turn.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...se24060710.jpg

Comment

hope you can see alright on the pic what i mean because this is the result of careless driving or being top heavy.

OOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
          Something you can do to help the narrow wheelbase issue is to go with an aftermarket wheel that has less backspacing, like one with 3.25" to 3.75" of backspacing. The less backspacing, the wider the wheel's stance is. That makes the wheels protrude out of the wheelwells more but that's just how it works. Also going with a wider wheel like from 15x7 to 15x8 if your tires are big enough, will also widen the track (2" in that case).
          That's what I did on my CJ plus I added 1 1/2 wheel spacers. I think it all helps.
          Check out .

Comment

Hah, I haven't seen one of those desert water bags since I was like 5 years old. Where did you find that antique?
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
              Hah, I haven't seen one of those desert water bags since I was like 5 years old. Where did you find that antique?
              Actually i have 2 of them. the one you see on the pic got a whole in it a while after the pic was taken by a thorn bush (our biggest hazards overe here). in SA they go for about R60 about $8.50. let me know how many and i will export them for you. they keep H2O cool no matter how hot it is.

Comment

Working...
              X