Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow cranking

jeep cranks over slow in the mornings, tried turning the key on for 10 seconds first to make sure it wasnt the fuel leaking back into the tank, that didnt seem to work. it starts up just fine, it just cranks slow before that. it cranks slower then any other vehicle ive ever started.

dying battery or starter. How old is the battery? Might be the alternator not charging, but you should see that on the gauge(or idiot light) which ever...
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

yeah i would call dieing battery as well check it with a meter...
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

You're in Illinois which is getting cold, it sounds like your battery is just not up to the cold now so it likely needs replacing. Batteries that can last 4-5 years in temperate conditions might only last half of that time if they get used much in extremely cold or hot conditions. Have a load test performed on the battery which will indicate its true health.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I'm having the same trouble. I have a red-top that's about 18 mo. old and when I crank everything's quiet for a second or two, then very very slowly the engine turns over once, then twice then kicks in and finally starts up, but then has trouble at idle. Any thoughts? I'm in SoCal, so I doubt the temp has much to do with it. The jeep isn't driven every day, but I've put a full charge on the battery and after a day of driving still have the problem???? I'm about to replace the battery, if I do I'll let you know how it worked out for me.

Comment

Do a load test of your battery first, that's the only thing that will tell you whether the battery is good or not. Have you personally cleaned and tightened both battery connections lately?

Comment

battery tested good on shops battery tester, alternator showed to be charging good also on the tester, could something have gone bad in the starter like the field windings, armatur or brushes? how would i be able to test this without a starter testing machine

Comment

when i first got my jeep my starter solinoid (sp?) went out and (its a little silver box under the hood by the battery) that caused the slow cranking in mine, it even got to the point where i had to have someone smack it a few times when i cranked it so that it would start... cost me like $40 at kragen i think. maybe check that.
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Make sure the other end of the neg cable is securely attached. Is there another ground off the alternator as well. Check those cable connections, and at the starter as well. Pull em off, rough em up and put it back together.
                  Insert witty comment here.

Comment

With the battery tester the starter should not draw more than 175 amps when cranking. If all is ok then.....
                    The problem could be VOLTAGE DROP. You need to check the battery voltage at the battery.(Should be atleast 12 volts or more). Then test the voltage at the starter.(Should be equal to the battery readings) If the voltage is quite a bit less....... Replace your battery cables and even the terminals.

Brett
                    offroadwerkz.com
                    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
                      With the battery tester the starter should not draw more than 175 amps when cranking.
                      Starters draw that much on a non-high compression engine? I always thought they were more like 70-80 amps.

Comment

Actually I condemn any starter that draws more than 175 amps while cranking. Usually means that the bushings are worn out and the armature is rubbing on the magnet housing creating the excessive draw. The amperage draw should be 75 to 150 when cranking and would be considered normal.

Brett
                        offroadwerkz.com
                        (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Working...
                        X