Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! 95 ZJ fuel pump / relay chatter

Ok all. I need some serious help here. I have a 95 ZJ which has the wierdest issue I have ever seen.

A couple of months ago I lost a valve spring and had the entire top of the engine rebuilt. After the rebuild the jeep ran fine but about a week later the jeep had an issue starting. Took back to shop to have them replace the fuel pump as it was not priming properly. After the replace same issue once turning on the key the jeep sits for 15 - 60 seconds with the "ASD" and "Fuel Pump" Relays going nuts just chattering away. After it goes through this crap the chatter slows down all the way to a stop then the fuel pump primes and the jeep starts and runs just fine.

Now comes the wierd part. If the jeep is shut off and then restarted it will start instantly if done within the first 30 seconds. After 30 seconds the chatter comes back progressively the longer the jeep sits in the off position. It almost seems like a capacitor is charging and losing it's charge slowly. IE if the jeep sits for 30 sec it will restart instantly if it sits for 5 min it will chatter for 15 sec. If you let it sit for 30 min you are back to the 60 seconds of chatter before starting.

I have tried switching relays no good. We have disabled the Security system completely and still the problem continues. I have taken it to a jeep dealership and they stated it is a short somewhere in the system and it would cost 2-3K to fix easy. They also say they are not getting a signal from the PCM and said it has went bad. The only part I cannot figure out is if the PCM is bad why would it start to work after 60 sec? Electronics either work or they don't.

Anyways any type of help would greatly be appreciated and thanks in advance.

there should be a cheak valve in the fuel line thats not holding the preassure. so when you shut it offit starts tolose pressure. the longer it sits the longer it takes to build the pressure back up . on my 92 yj it is locatedwhere the fuel line goes in to the injectors. fuelinjection needs a certain amout of pressure to work properly i think its only about a 30 dollar part
    :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

The check valve is good to go as the fuel works fine throughout the system after the electrical system stopps "chattering" / clicking after 60 seconds and the fuel system primes fine and fuel pressure is normal once this wait time passes.

Comment

this sounds just like the issue i just resolved- i installed a rebuilt engine and forgot to attach a ground on the pass. side of the block (2 ring terminals that attach to the same stud as the negative battery cable- not the grounding strap from the firewall to the head bolt). since your head was reworked, the mechanic may have disconnected these wires for extra working room.

Comment

By any chance can I get you to post any kind of pictures to show me what you are talking about? I'm unfamiliar w/ this ground. If not can you be real specific as to where this may be located?

Comment

Or the source of the 2 ring terminals you are talking about would work too because I'd just setup a new ground.

Comment

Working...
            X