Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire size to axles help.. quick

well i sold my old jeep that i had and got a new one.. i have plans of building it down the road but for now i am stuck with a 4" custom long arm lift. 1" body lift and cross over steering.. my question is i have 33" tires but i can trade them straight across cuase they are brand new never used for 35" tires for 40 bucks total.. including my lifetime warranty.. now to hold me over till my 9" and 44 are built i found a guy selling this axle set up...

d35
    arb air locker
    usa alloy 27 spline shaft
    4;56 gear

d30
    arb air locker
    alloy shaft
    4;45 gears

now the only thing that bothers me with this set up and running 35" tires is the 27 spline in the rear.. now on my old tj i ran the supior super 35 kit wich came with the detroit locker and 30 spline shafts and beat the crap out of it and never ever in countered a problem and i ran stuff were guys broke 44's trying this stuff.. now has any one run just upgraded shafts on the jeep and had problems?? i dont do anything crazy but i dont want to get stuck wedged somewere cuase of this move.... any one have any personal experience? also if to many people dont have to many problems i might just sell my 9" that i have for cheap..

also i should throw in that my old jeep had 4;88 wiht 35" tires and i hated it on the freeway.. and i am thinking this is going to be the same problem with the 33" tires and the 4;56 wich is why i am kinda wanting to put the 35" tires on it also the whole set up that i named above the guy is letting them go for 1500. they are 100% complete just bolt in and go..

Comment

the D30 should be fine but even with the alloys in the rear the D35 is just a crap axle. I wouldnt put 35s on it but if you do i definently would really offroad it and i would drive it VERY nicely. Dollar for dollar its worth it but in the end the D35 will be your weak link and would have to go. I would see if he just wants to sell the front end.
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

[QUOTE=swbooking;89578]the D30 should be fine but even with the alloys in the rear the D35 is just a crap axle. I wouldnt put 35s on it but if you do i definently would really offroad it and i would drive it VERY nicely. Dollar for dollar its worth it but in the end the D35 will be your weak link and would have to go. QUOTE]

Agree X2!

I did the Super 35 upgrade on my old axle and it worked for a while, but in retrospect it was a waste of $$$$. For what I spent on the Super 35 kit I could have had the Currie 9" axle that is currently under the Jeep.
        It's not so much the axles that are the problem, it's the thin axle tubes that like to twist and bend.
        Money pit!

Comment

i see exactly what you guys are saying.. ya i never had problem wiht the front.. but the rear is my concern.. so the axle housing is what you had issuse with not somuch the axle?? the up side to having this axle set up is that i can build the 9" and 44 the way i want and still be able towheel and do everything that i want to do.. the down side is the money part of it but i think that if i can go wheelin for the wheelin season then i would think it is morre then worth it...

but with that said lol sounds like i am beating a dead horse hahaha.. i had a completly stock axle no gearing or axles.. ( but i did weld up the spiders) on my xj and put some 35" tires and it and first day out on the trail and i snapped an axle on a pretty tought trail but none the less it snapped in les then 15minutes on the trail ugh..and that was after running it on 33" with a welded rear on blacks in paragon back east.. and it just seems that 33" would be the way to go cuase i would have no issuses with running them in tead but i dont want to buy two sets of tires cuase the tires i am getting have the lifetime hazard warranty on them and my buddy has a set andhis tires still have more them 75% tread after a couple years of daily driving and wheelin lol

Comment

That is the problem with axles like the Dana 35--they are unpredictable. I wheeled my D35 for 2 years on 33" MTR's (with a Super 35 kit) and was lucky, but then that terrible day arrived and the tubes twisted.
            I STILL have the old Dana 35 axle sitting in my back yard.
            I am still on 33's and won't move up to 35's until I put either a "stroker" I-6 or a mild V-8---and that is at least another year away!

33's seem to be a happy medium in tire sizes. They are not too big and heavy to break things, but big enough to get you over most rocks.
            Like the old saying goes, "Jeep's are built, not bought." So, take you time and build, wheel, fix and enjoy.

IMO-Welding the spider gears is the same as a Dana 35--they will break--the question is WHEN?
            The Dana 30 is a great axle to build and run until you move to a tire bigger than 35". When I break my axle I'll be looking at another Currie 9"......
            Last edited by pdw; 11-26-07, 12:23 PM.
            Money pit!

Comment

Working...
            X