Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ 7 Brakes

I have a 76 Jeep CJ 7 with a 304 auto Quadratrac. I have a problem with the brakes dragging. Only the front brakes, drum all around. I have replace the rubber lines, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and lubed all pivot points. I am at a loss and cannot find a PP valve. Can anyone help me? I would love to upgrade to disc fronts but that is not and option at this time.

I don't know for sure, but my proportioning valve is on the drivers side frame rail, nearly straight down and slightly back of the master cylinder.

On mine, there is a button that needs to be pushed as you bleed the brakes. They make a special tool for it, but I couldn't find it, so I used some small clamps to hold the button pushed. Or you can pay a buddy a 6 pack to lay under there holding the button! The button has a rubber boot on it, and it is on the forward part of the valve.

This applies to my 83 CJ7, I honestly do not know for sure on yours, but it might give you a start.

Comment

my 80 cj is the same way. i will say the only problem i have with mine is in the master cylinder itself. i think its just getting too old.
      the proportion valve is in the same place on mine, straight down from the master cylinder. just follow your brake lines off the master cylinder down to the valve below.

Comment

Originally posted by jeep453 View Post
        I have a 76 Jeep CJ 7 with a 304 auto Quadratrac. I have a problem with the brakes dragging. Only the front brakes, drum all around. I have replace the rubber lines, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, and lubed all pivot points. I am at a loss and cannot find a PP valve. Can anyone help me? I would love to upgrade to disc fronts but that is not and option at this time.
        If your looking for a new proportioning valve I bought mine here.
        http://inlinetube.com/
        Check out .

Comment

Thanks for the help I will try bleeding again, and bleeding the proportioning valve. Thanks for the link to replacment parts. This was my first post and i knew where it was located just cannot find a new one. I also need to explain the brakes get tighter the more I drive. If it sits the brakes release, after it warms up and i drive a few miles the begin dragging and finally lock up.

Comment

Working...
          X