Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Swap

Wife's YJ ('Hector') has had MASSIVE fuel problems. The damned Carter Carb was literally DUMPING fuel into the engine. It took me a 1/4 tank of gas to get to work one morning...it's 3 miles.

So, while I was working on the CJ's wiring...I decided I had to park Hector. I can't afford $20 to go back and forth to work every day. I know some of you guys do it, I just don't know how.

Long story longer....I ordered a kit from eBay to switch my Weber carb out with a MC2150. I know many of you will say, why not just go to EFI?? Mostly because EFI is $1300 on average, and I just don't have that kind of cash laying around. And because I needed Hector up and running so that I can MAYBE start looking at doing some work on Valdez's frame and body. The kit cost me about $316 with the carb. The guy sells kits to mount your own carb if you pull one out of the junkyard. I hear they are pretty popular carbs, but where I live...good luck. Saved myself the hassle.

The kit is quite complete with all the widgets shown:

[CENTER][/CENTER]

and I REALLY had intentions of taking pictures along the way of how I put it in and what-not...but found I was moving so fast that I forgot. But when I was finished I ended up with this:

[CENTER][/CENTER]

So far it seems to be great! I have a gigantic crack in my exhaust manifold, which has caused my intake manifold to warp and now I have a vacuum problem. All of this is holding me up from getting the upgrade finally finished. I still have some HUGE timing problems, and I have to get the idle back down around 900 (currently at 1250).

Thanks for recommending this fix to me Paul.
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 11-07-07, 07:02 AM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez View Post
    I have a gigantic crack in my exhaust manifold, which has caused my intake manifold to warp and now I have a vacuum problem. All of this is holding me up from getting the upgrade finally finished. I still have some HUGE timing problems, and I have to get the idle back down around 900 (currently at 1250).
    Wow, you got your work cut out for you with all that and the wiring on the CJ. Good luck. Nice job on the carb swap.
    Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
      Wow, you got your work cut out for you with all that and the wiring on the CJ. Good luck. Nice job on the carb swap.
      I actually got the wiring finished on the CJ. Once I figured out where my problem was it wasn't too hard. I'm looking around for a new exhaust manifold, think I can get one for about $60 shipped. Once I get all that done, I plan to work on the frame & do much needed bodywork.

Comment

Nice carb swap. I have the 2100 carb on my CJ and it has performed flawlessly.
        BullDog Dave
        Keep the rubber side down (mostly)
        1975 CJ-5 (Partially)

Comment

Originally posted by BullDog View Post
          Nice carb swap. I have the 2100 carb on my CJ and it has performed flawlessly.
          I realize nothing is as good as EFI on steep incline (much like your avatar) but how is your 2100 at a high pitch angle?

Comment

Working...
          X