Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help???!!!!!

how do i get the steering bolts off my tj the one on the end of axel comes off but the one on the steering bar will not come off.!!!!!!!!!

Are you talking about the one for the steering damper? If so just take the nut off and then get a hammer or whatever( i used a flash light) and hit it really hard a few times til it pops out.
    Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

its just a pinch nut. personally i hate pinched nuts. loosen the bolt, then the shaft sits on a spline. just give it a few wacks with the peen hammer. oh and BIG TIP! DONT TURN YOUR STEERING WHEEL AFTER YOU HAVE IT DISCONNECTED. IN FACT, ROPE YOUR STEERING WHEEL CENTER BEFORE YOU DO IT. you'll get a nice "snap" sounding suprise that will cost you a few hundred dollars if you do rotate it. its called a clockspring and its behind your steering wheel. dont ask me how i know!
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

is the clockspring what returns your wheel to center?? my wheel is slowly going more right and its bugging me I have to steer left to go straight, but the jeep is aligned, if I let go of the wheel it tracks straight, but my steering wheel is allways on tilt....
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
          is the clockspring what returns your wheel to center?? my wheel is slowly going more right and its bugging me I have to steer left to go straight, but the jeep is aligned, if I let go of the wheel it tracks straight, but my steering wheel is allways on tilt....
          Jesse,
          Are you sure you didn't bend the tie rod or drag link? That's the most common culprit for a steering wheel being off center. It might just need a quick turn on the drag link adjuster to get it back in line. Rat
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

have you seen my steering arm and drag link?
            I got the high steer... I can jack my whole jeep up with that drag link...

I adjusted the whole thing so the steering wheel was centered, and it was nice for a while, but the last year or so it has been slowly rolling itself around.

after a while I took off the steering wheel and turned it a bit back to center and bolted it back on... but it has moved again.... and my turn signals are messed up now, it is fine for right turns but messed up for left turns...

Comment

no that wouldnt be your clock spring. your clock spring is more of an electrical do dad that controls your turn sig, and horn signals. its spring loaded so if you have the steering shaft disconnected you could turn the steering wheel past its designed radius based on the steering box. if you did that, you would snap the spring ribbon that is in the clock spring. its only designed to go (if i remember) 3 3/4 turns either way. mess with it by turning it to much and its ruined.

if your steering wheel is off center its either the actual steering wheel thats turning off of the steering wheel shaft (very very unlikely sinces its held on by splines and a big old nut), at the shaft to steering box, unlikely, or at the drag link. thats your probable cause. believe it or not, big beefy tie rod and drag link set ups still bend. you may have some slop in your steering box to. my durango box is a little more sloppy that way over the stock tj box i had. i actually liked the tj unit better but have since sold it so im stuck w/what i have. durango box is beefier, but i like the tj characteristics a little better. but anyways.
              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

well I can't say that I don't abuse my steering box, I got the front high steer, no sway bar, no track bar, and a Detroit in that poor lil' D30... on 35" MTRs...

Comment

Working...
                X