Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension

I looking into a cheap and easy solution to getting some decent suspension. Has anyone heard or have the LongLeafs that Holbrook Specialties does? I think all I would need to do is take welding 101 this fall semester to be able to save me on labor.. I really need to know how to weld!!!!
    Dave

Check out the difference: http://www.holbrookspecialties.com/

I don't know much about leafs, but you may want to take more then just a welding 101 class . . . Especially on such crucial parts.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I have these.

I put on the longleafs to my CJ5.

Lemme tell you what I've figured out about them:

1. the ride is very soft on them, much better than the stiffie old springs, HOWEVER, I think I'm going to be putting in a swaybar to control the body roll when cornering on road. Perhaps a set of adjustable shocks would solve this, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

2. they do provide a lot of flex, but your "clearance" between the spring mounts is very little.

3. the install is very basic and straight forward. I recommend doing as it says in the instructions and JUST BOLTING them on and going out to wheel in them but BE SURE to check the bolts every 15 minutes or so in order to ensure you don't have a spring drop off... trust me on this one... :doh

4. the kit comes with angle shims for the rear springs, but I'm going to a rear CV shaft because of the vibration I still get from it. I ordered my TCase Yoke from PartsMike and bought a front driveshaft off from a old wagoneer and I'm going to get it cut down & balanced locally.

Overall, I like the kit and the springs I just wish I'd have gone with wider springs at the same time I went with the longleafs. I think they sell wider (YJ style) longleafs (not sure, havent been to the sight in a long time).

Hope this helps.

Edit: P.S. There isn't much welding involved, shouldn't run you too much $$ to take it to a qualified [cough: chris] welder to get them solid once you know where you want them.
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Yes very helpful Desert. Do you know if I would have to change my shocks..... currently running with the Rancho 5000. Also I see that Holbrook sells the kits for $850 that maybe in my budget.
        thanks for the replies,
        Dave

Comment

I did.

I had to change out my shocks, you can expect about a 4" lift depending on if you use the shackles provided or get some of your own aftermarkets. I got some greasable aftermarkets that also put another 1/2" of lift or so on there. I have rancho 5000's on mine. I still have to put longer bump stops on mine and some other things like that.

Its good to see another 74' CJ-5 on here!
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
          X