Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans for front and rear bumpers

Does anybody have plans to make there own front and rear bumpers?
    :wink:

Wow...6 weeks and on one gave you an answer.

Here's the scoop. Guys that have designs, want you to buy the stuff they build. That is how they make money from thier designs and from the work that goes into them. If you get a free design print, they make no money from all the work and time they invested into it.

A decent DIY home fabricator could just as easily copy almost anything he/she sees in a magazine/web page. But that would require effort, some research and work on your own part......

Comment

here is my bumper. its made out of 2x4x.120. i mitered the main piece and the ends at 22.5*(if i remember correctly to get the angle you see here. I then mitered the ends up to give it a little slope and plated in the bottoms. put a nice chanfer on the seams to get a good weld in there and ground them down smooth.

for the tabs i got a couple 4x4 squares of 3/8" plate and roughed out the tabs on a plasma cutter. drilled a hole to accomodate the d rings and tacked two tabs together giving me two 3/4" tabs. a lot of bench grinding later i came up with some d ring tabs that are 2"x4" long. got a piece of 1/8" plate and welded the tabs to that plate. took my bumper and milled slots on the front and back side of it so i could slide the tabs in through the rear. welded those up

Mounting- got some tubing and lathed it down all bitchen to the right length to go through both sides of the bumper with 1/8" clearance on both ends. welded a 3/16" plate to the frame and on the inside tabs welded 2 nuts per side and on the outside thru bolted it.

sorry for the crappy explination i gotta go to school!

And NEVER call her by her friends name, unless you know how to fake a seizure

Comment

I used about a 2 1/2' of 2x4 angled and grinded down for my front bumper with some clevis hooks and about a 5' section of 2x4 with some cool spindles available for the dual swing out carrier in the rear. Both bolt directly to the frame. If you can imagine it and have the tools and room to fab your own, by golly saddle up and start chopping, grinding, and welding. PM me if interested in some pics and I'll try to help.
        "run forest, run!"

Comment

Brice, that's a sweet looking bumper! I got some plans from a friend with an FJ60 and just need to transpose the measurements for a TJ. I think it'll turn out nice if I ever get around to it.

How much work was it and approx what's the cost of materials?

Comment

granted it was my first one, it was a full days work. i could knock it out in 3/4 day now that i have done one.

materials were cheap. not sure how much for the square tubing.
            And NEVER call her by her friends name, unless you know how to fake a seizure

Comment

Working...
            X