Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear tailgate rack - help?

Hey All. I have plans to build a rack that I want to attach to my tailgate bolted in behind the rear spare tire mount. The rack will hold my Hi-Lift jack and have removable bars that can hold 2 bicycles. I'm looking for help with a few questions if anyone may have any insight here. Please see the pics linked below for a line diagram and rough computer rendering of the part.

1. does anyone know if the stock tailgate will hold this much weight (I would not be putting both the bikes and the Hi-Lift on at the same time, ever)??

2. If the tailgate is strong enough, does anyone have any fabrication suggestions for the part? You can roughly see in the diagram that it will consist of a plate that will bolt into the spare tire mount bolt holes, welded tubes to hold up an angular L-shaped top bracket, to which my 4XRAC hilift mounts will be bolted on. I will also weld tube brackets to the angled steel, within which smaller steel tubes can be inserted and fastened if I want to carry bikes.

I've measured the whole rear end of my jeep and built a computer model and all the parts seem to fit around the jeep and spare tire, although I'll have to remove the third brake light mount in order for this baby to fit (will replace with LED attached to rack). One of my friends has also done a computerized load analysis on the design and determined that the rack itself would be good for 250lbs. min. force before breaking.

I know that sometimes things look great in the computer or on paper, so any fabrication gurus out there have any suggestions before I start cutting and welding away an entire weekend? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

here are the links to the pics...

03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Looks like it would but the biggest factor is the size & weight of your spare. If your carring a stock spare you should be fine with a few bikes and Highlift jack which might weigh 60-70 pounds. Most folks here carry 33" & 35" spares plus equip. on a bumper mounted swingout type set-up.

B&T TJ

Comment

i've got a 31" tire stowed away right now...but its an Xterrain not the stock goodyear tire. definitely weighs more...

Comment

From what I have heard/read the tailgate hinges barely stand up to the weight of a 35" tire. While your design is great, I dont think it will work unless you replace the hinges for the tail gate.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

You definately don't want to overload your tailgate hinges. It may be in your best interest to get a swing-out carrier. Then you can load it up as much as you like.
          Erik

I fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
            From what I have heard/read the tailgate hinges barely stand up to the weight of a 35" tire. While your design is great, I dont think it will work unless you replace the hinges for the tail gate.
            can you recommend a company that sells a good "replacement hinge" that could hold some additional weight on the tailgate? I'd rather do this than get a new bumper/tire carrier ($700)...

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
              can you recommend a company that sells a good "replacement hinge" that could hold some additional weight on the tailgate? I'd rather do this than get a new bumper/tire carrier ($700)...
              I honestly dont know of anyone but if you find one let us all know
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

you wanted one, here it is.

this is for a YJ but I'm sure with some drilling and other misc fabrication one could make this puppy work. or I'll just fabricate one of these also and save myself the $150.

http://www.truckstuffusa.com/tailreinkitf.html

Comment

My FMEA :beer: analysis, tends to indicate that weight will be an issue. The hinges are not all that, as has already been mentioned, but the catch mechanism looks dodgy as well. Also, the tail gate itself is going to yield around the 4 mounting bolts.

Sorry, but I have to say
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

My Parents bought my tire carrier for my B-day, Sent me $40 and built it myself
                    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

computer nerd...

Originally posted by aston
                      My FMEA :beer: analysis, tends to indicate that weight will be an issue. The hinges are not all that, as has already been mentioned, but the catch mechanism looks dodgy as well. Also, the tail gate itself is going to yield around the 4 mounting bolts.

Sorry, but I have to say
                      that's a pretty educated response. if you really did a finite element analysis and included the tailgate AND hinges, then first i have to say cheers :beer: and second I have to say that I will trust your judgment beyond a shadow of a doubt. I've also been questioning the latch mechanism as you have brought up.

Now for the better question, how the hell do I mount my jack? I think I'll just resort to creating a simple bracket for the front bumper instead.

thanks for the tip...time to learn FMEA myself...

Comment

Now for the better question, how the hell do I mount my jack? I think I'll just resort to creating a simple bracket for the front bumper instead.
                        I just gave one away. Yes there is a simple bracket for the front bumper and I think it's a Highlift product (do a google search for Highlift bracket). Basically (sorry no pic) it's two brackets shaped into a triangle w/flats on the top and both ends, maybe 3/4" on the ends and 3" on top drilled for the bolts. You get the picture and I'll bet you could fab a nice set too by the looks of your plans.

B&T TJ

Comment

actually i already have a set of the triangular ones that I have bolted to the rear bumper. problem is the jack got eaten by rocks on my last trip and i want to relocate it. fog lights on the front bumper are in the way, and also I have the 5' jack which doesn't seem to fit very well on the TJ otherwise I would not be having these issues...

Comment

that's a pretty educated response. if you really did a finite element analysis and included the tailgate AND hinges, then first i have to say cheers :beer: and second I have to say that I will trust your judgment beyond a shadow of a doubt. I've also been questioning the latch mechanism as you have brought up.

thanks for the tip...time to learn FMEA myself...
                            Your BSD filter must not be working (bull shite detection)

A while ago I had a 32" MTR mounted on the tailgate and it sucked. I modified the tube bumper to provide a lower support and ran a ratchet strap over the top to cinch everything down.
                            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

finished

OK, I completely changed and simplified the design for this part so it does not hang from the tailgatebut rests on the bumper instead. I fabricated it over the weekend, now I just need to finish mounting it and paint it.

Thanks for all your help, you've all convinced me that hanging this thing from the tailgate wasn't a good idea.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X