Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy tubing

Looking to buy some 1.75 DOM with .120 wall.I think it comes in 20ft sticks-correct?? I need 4-5 sticks.Anyone know a supplier in Abq. NM ??
    99TJ

Pick up the yellow pages....they are your friend!

Just curious...why DOM with such a thin wall?
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Plan on building a rollcage-this is what I,ve learned so far.Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) tube is also electrically welded but it is drawn over a mandrel which flattens the seam out and also holds the tube to a tighter tolerance. DOM is frequently used for cages and frame tubing.. a step up from HREW.
      1 3/4 x .120 DOM is a very good choice. If you have a hydraulic bender and enough experience to not waste a lot of tubing then the same size tubing in 4130 chromo would be uber sweet.

DOM is typically 1020 and the minimum requirements for it are 80ksi tensile with an ultimate yield of 70ksi.

4130 is typically 90ksi tensile and ultimate yield of 70ksi.

Very similar requirements and typically not worth the added expense unless you plan on heat treating the 4130
      This is true isn,t it???
      99TJ

Comment

A cage is about the only place I can think of that marginally justifies the expense of DOM that thin....even that is a gray area, IMO. Have you priced DOM lately? (or steel in general?) 6 months ago, I was paying $58 per 20' stick of 1.75 11ga HREW (2 years ago it was closer to $24/stick).
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I have decided to use the DOM on recommendation of some people I trust.I guess you could say I,m trusting my life to them.Yes I,ve purchased steel lately-1/4in plate & 1in DOM. Seems like anything I do to my rig ends up costing a bucket of $$$ - but still I continue.
          Last edited by dirtgrip; 01-24-06, 11:01 PM.
          99TJ

Comment

Working...
          X