Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to paint fab projects?

hey, just fabricated my first project for my jeep. I made a grill/winch guard and added some D-hooks to the bumper. What kind of paint do u guys use? do u use a finish? how many layers? anything about painting that u could give me suggestions.....i kinda welded everything together, so im gonna have to tape off what i dont want to paint, and paint the rest while on the jeep, next time ill paint stuff b4 i put it on, and touch up around the welds....heres some pics

thanks for your help
    1978 CJ7, 304 V8, T-150, locked AMC 20 with Superior Axles, Warn M8000, RE 2.5" lift, 31"BFG mudterrains, Naked and dirty 7 months of the year! Cant wait to get more!

wire brush the welds, sand the old paint down a little, wipe with acetone, prime and paint. A couple coats should do ya. I like to use krylon or rustoleum semi-gloss, but its all the same.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I disagree.....it is not all the same :cactus:

.....rustoleum makes a great product called "hammerite" (sold in spray cans). It dries much harder than normal spray paint and is great for things that your clothes will be rubbing against (roll cages where you pants leg will rub, rocker guards you may lean against, etc). If you have a g/f or wife that isn't into black marks on her clothes, this stuff is vital to your survival (been there, didn't do that, got whacked up side the head and had to put up with a grumpy girl for the evening....and no, I didn't get to stay). for skid plates and stuff that I won't be leaning against...semi-gloss black, as Dukes mentioned.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I agree with Goodtimes: Hammerite rocks.

Just to clarify, the original Hammerite is made by Kilz. Also, Rust-oleum make a paint called Hammered. For my money Hammerite is a tad better, however the rust-oleum is still v. good. Hammerite is getting harder to find, especially in traditional paint cans.

Most often I buy a can of paint and use a disposable brush. The hammer action completely eliminates any brush marks. For larger surfaces a roller works well too.
        "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston
          I agree with Goodtimes: Hammerite rocks.

Just to clarify, the original Hammerite is made by Kilz. Also, Rust-oleum make a paint called Hammered. For my money Hammerite is a tad better, however the rust-oleum is still v. good. Hammerite is getting harder to find, especially in traditional paint cans.
          Huh...I always thought it was made by rustoleum....so I had to go out to the garage and look. You are correct, it is made by Kilz. It is available at Home Depot.
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

hamerite wont hold up to chemicals as well as the semi gloss krylon rust tough paints.
            a couple of shots of a degreaser will remove the hemmerite.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

powder coat it, the only way to go! It's kinda pricey $$$ But it is not something you can do at home.... well big stuff anyway craftsman (and Harbor Freight) has a powder coat kit for the do at home. but you need a oven to bake it in so the big stuff is out.
              75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

and for the places you can't get the wire brush into try this stuff.

I got it at Pepboys and it work great. BTW the Jeep's looking good.

B&T TJ

Comment

Also you could use POR-15. I heard nothing but how good it works. I never used myself yet. just a thought, anyone else used it?
                  75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Prep as Chris said ... wirebrush and scuff it up with sand paper ... wipe really good and clean so there are no more particles left. I personally like to use the type of spinning wire brush you put on a regular drill. It works really well. Then, Prime prime prime ... the paint is not as important as the primer in my opinion. Read the direction of the primer you use and follow it carefully.

Some primers dry in 15 minutes (ready for the next coat). Some need longer. Some require a certain temperature range for best results. Some are sandable while others are not.

After 3 or so coats of primer, you are ready for paint. It's better to do more thin coats of primer than one heavy coat.

Hammerite is alright ... but any other spray paint will also do IMO. You probably want to clear coat on top ... you can buy it in spray cans. This will increase the toughness of your finish. I'd do 2 or 3 coats of paint and let it dry fully (maybe a day or so). Then give it another couple of coats of clear.
                    Last edited by seapahn; 12-18-05, 10:43 PM.
                    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

under the jeep, well Dukes knows, spray rustolem on it while it is still hot from welding and bake it on.
                      he laughs at me when ever I do that
                      on the outside, send it to a powdercoater. saves all the masking and cleaning.
                      Powdercoating really is not all that expensive compared to the work you have to do to do a good job on your own.
                      Just a thought

edit: that is a killer guard, and the jeep looks really good
                      this one is mine, I like the clean simple look of both
                      Last edited by blackZZR; 12-22-05, 10:56 PM.
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

I just used that hammered by rustoleum for a swing out tire fab. This stuff is great, I rolled it on and it does not leave any imperfections, dries smooth. No primer involved, just paint it on.

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68
                          I just used that hammered by rustoleum for a swing out tire fab. This stuff is great, I rolled it on and it does not leave any imperfections, dries smooth. No primer involved, just paint it on.

Thanks for the tip on the hammered paint.Realy easy to use and looks great.

95 GC 4.5 RE,adjustable UCA/LCA,32's,456's,tru-trac up front,trac-lock rear,and other goodies

Comment

Working...
                          X