Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Tank

when i went to the run at calico i saw that someone had welded there front bumper and made it into an air tank, i was wondering how you did that, im kinda intrested in trying it out for myself. Thanks

Justin
    ./| ,[_____], 4.5"
    |ŻŻŻL--D|||||D 33"
    ()_)Ż()_) ŻŻ )_) Armor
    Locked and Ready

It is pretty simple....start with a bumper made from either round or square tube, weld up the ends and any holes in it, drill and tap 2 holes in it (1/4 NPT would be fine), use one as a inlet, and put a female quick disconnect in the other.

Keep in mind that there really isn't much storage capacity in bumpers....they just arent that big.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I saw a write up by some guy who was trying to get an exo-cage on an XJ to be an air tank. After about 2 months of trying to patch all the holes, his nice clean welds had gone boogerific. He gave up.

The bumper works well since it is smaller, however that is the downside, small means less storage.

Keep in mind that it is technically illegal to pressurize your bumper in some states, including CA.

Comment

I was thinking of doing that to my roll cage but after adding up all the numbers and realizing there's really not that much volume there, and also realizing that the tubes would basically start rusting from inside out in no time, I decided to just add a 1.75Gal tank under the hood instead
        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Way too easy to put a _real_ tank under the rig to even consider such an option

Look "across" from the catalytic convertor - spot is just begging for an air tank!
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I beat myself senseless trying to figure out ANY way to mount one under the jeep ... there's really no easy way to do one with a decent sized tank (I was trying to fit my 1.75Gal one) under there with a long arm lift.

At some point I was even thinking of attaching it to one of the arms ... but then I got real.
            03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
            "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
            X