Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OBA- Stock AC conversion or Something else?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBA- Stock AC conversion or Something else?

Ok guys...here's my quandry.

My AC leaks. It would cost a bunch o' bucks to fix it. Its not worth it. Figured it was time to do the AC conversion. Has anyone done this and would you recommend it? Or should I just go the path of least resistance and do something else?

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

kilby enterprises has a kit wher you use your AC compressor to to have OBA, you could go there see what you need and than shop around, i think it would be strong enough to run tools

if you just want air (like i do) try www.roundeyes.com which has a air tank thing for less than 3 bills
    Carlos

92 YJ
    GO VEGAN!
    volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Having not done an OBA yet but a lot of research here is my 2 cents, take it for what its worth which could be absolutely nothing

The big questions is, where does your AC leak?

If its the compressor itself then you can rip it out (and all the AC stuff) and do a York OBA setup as if you never had AC.

If the compressor is good, rip out all the other AC crap and plumb the stock compressor like you would a york. I dont know how the stock compressor compares to the York but it should be good enough for tires.

Either option seems fairly easy, the second being the easiest.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

al and bremmer both have the ac as an air source. from what i have seen o0f them.. they work great.
        hopefully one of them will chime in.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
          Having not done an OBA yet but a lot of research here is my 2 cents, take it for what its worth which could be absolutely nothing

The big questions is, where does your AC leak?

If its the compressor itself then you can rip it out (and all the AC stuff) and do a York OBA setup as if you never had AC.

If the compressor is good, rip out all the other AC crap and plumb the stock compressor like you would a york. I dont know how the stock compressor compares to the York but it should be good enough for tires.

Either option seems fairly easy, the second being the easiest.
          Beats me where it leaks. I think the guys said the condenser, but I'm not sure.

As for a york . . . I'll pass, thanks. Yeah they pump alot of air, but they have been known quit. I'll probably do the A/C conversion or put an ExtremeAire Comp. in there . . . or in my rig.
          Last edited by JeepGal; 07-29-05, 06:44 PM.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

what type of compressor is used on the stock AC?

i rather go with something like viaiar with a 3 gallon tank, or move around a small air tank
            Carlos

92 YJ
            GO VEGAN!
            volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Sanden Compressor.
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

do both- i did

you're always welcome to check out my sanden OBA if ya want... it's not like you're far away. i managed to use mostly home depot fittings, plus a few things from mcmaster (safety valve, pressure switch, etc. I also have my ARB plumbed into the air circuit with a regulator.

if you want to keep the a/c and can locate a condensor (and drier), i've got a vacuum pump and R134A manifold gauges so we can evacuate & recharge the refrigerant

Comment

How do you know your AC leaks?
                  03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                  "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Hey Tam

I converted my Sanden AC compressor to OBA. It works great: it will inflate a 35" tire from 7 to 30 psi in about a minute.

One advantage of the Sanden is you can keep the mounting brackets, pulley, wiring etc...

The main disad is the fact that the Sanden uses the refrigerant to lubricate the internals. You will need a drip oiler on the inlet side to stop the compressor from siezing. I ran out of oil :mad: and the compressor seized right away. (It wasn't my fault, OKAY)

My pressure demand switch cuts in at 90 and out at 120psi. I have a 2 gallon tank and I can run most air tools: impact wrenches and nut drivers. Some tools like grinders use more air and they empty the tank in 20 secs or so.

That's about it, the folks at Kilby were very helpful. They have a neat schematic on the website that explains everything and much more.

TTFN

:beer:
                    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
                      Well, I didnt check it but the dealer said it leaks and they wanted to replace something that cost $600. I said get bent.

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
                        Last year it was blowing hot air, I took it in, they charged it...and it lasted the summer. Im now blowing hot air again, and they refuse to recharge it because it leaks.

Tam
                        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I did mine long ago. It works great. Cost me about $150 to do everything and that includes a 2.5 gal tank. Remember you have to oil a Sanden. I have a tool oiler on the inlet side. Keeps a nice mist going into the pump.
                          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                            Last year it was blowing hot air, I took it in, they charged it...and it lasted the summer. Im now blowing hot air again, and they refuse to recharge it because it leaks.

Tam

Yah that makes sense (the conclusion about it leaking). And I hear ya Chris! But as far as I know, finding a leak in the AC system is not that hard ... an AC shop should be able to do it ... they inject some sort of a die in there which makes finding the leak straight forward. My buddy back at UCLA fixed his before selling his honda which basically doubled the value of the car (I think he sold it for like $700 ) ... I think it was a pipe that was leaking on his (very slowly).

Basically, what I'm saying is that it might be worth trying to fix the AC if the leak is somewhere easy to repair (like a pipe or a fitting).

You know, I rarely used the AC while I was in Cali. Heck that year we did the Rubicon together, I drove from LA to there door less in the 110 degree heat. But after moving out here to the Midwest, I have really started appreciating the AC. Some days, you feel like you are driving in a sauna it's so hot and humid. I know I know ... winter it's the cold I'm bitching about and summer it's the heat ... no complaints really.
                            03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                            "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Have both A/C and a York on the YJ, don't use the former much - use the York on every trip just about. On there for about 10 years now, probably the most reliable mod I've done.
                              Jeff
                              OHV76V
                              KG6TY
                              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                              X