Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Bender ?'s

Anyone used a JD2 model#3 with a hydraulic conversion?

I don't have the $$$, or the need, for a fancy contraption like Dukes has....will only be building the occasional cage, bumper, etc, and one, maybe two chassis. This won't be production work....a bumper or cage every now and then for extra $$$, but the bulk of the work (chassis, etc) will be personal projects, not for sale. So I don't need to make 90* bends in 15 seconds.....but I need it to be mobile (limits me to hydraulic), accurate, and I don't want to spend $2K.. I can go with the JD2 and have the cost under a grand (NIC die sets).....

Anyone with actual experience with this, or some similar product?
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

My cousin has the JD2 bender. I will ask him how he likes it and let you know. He has, however, stated to me that he likes my bender better.

Brian,
    Remember: "Price is soon forgotton, quality is not."

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
      Brian,
      Remember: "Price is soon forgotton, quality is not."

Yes, but from the people I talk to, the JD2 is a high quality bender....it just requires manual labor to operate....Considering what I plan to do with it, I cannot justify spending the 2500+ on a set up like you have.

But, if you want to send me yours to "try out" for a few years......

KG6OWO

Comment

I have the JD2, and it's a great manual bender. I got mine new with 3 dies (1"-1.25"-1.75") delivered to my front door for $950 from Medford Tools. You can convert it to hydro for $500-$600 with the info available on Pirate4x4 in the shop/fab section. Excellent thread with tons of pics, part #'s, etc.

Comment

I have a protools 105hd and love it. It is only manual but that has never kept me from doing anything.

It will be converted to hydro when i get he $, but for now manual it is
          1990 YJ, 4.2L HO FI, 4.56's locked rollin on the 33's
          It goes where I want it.

1999 WJ - stock and staying that way
          1982CJ7 awaiting a 302 swap

'yeh i can make that work'

Comment

I looked at the protools....but I like the cold rolled steel of the JD2 (as opposed to the hot rolled used by protools), plus protools laser cuts their holes where JD2 machines theirs, giving them a better finish (no jagged, uneven kerf).

I know a few people with the manual benders, but no one that is using a hydro conversion on the manual bender........which is what I am looking at.

KG6OWO

Comment

I talked to my Cousin. He likes his bender and doesnt have any problems with it. He has the air over hydraulic conversion, which he says uses alot of air. He said to stay away from that unless you have a huge compressor.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Well, by the time you put a electric over hydraulic HPU on the model 3, you are well into the $2000 range (bender, hyd. conversion, single die set, cart to mount it on, etc), so I decided against it. So for now, I'll be pulling the handle......

thanks for the opinions everyone.

KG6OWO

Comment

I was just loaned a Hossfeld2 for as long as I need it.Will pick it up Mon.Dies are $180 from www.goracin.com. 1st project is rearflares similar to PSC welded to cornercrushers.Have some 1/8in plate & 1in DOM tubing.Sure would like the Hyd. option but will try it as is for now.
                  99TJ

Comment

I seen this one used on xtream 4x4 tv on spike TV it is a hydro bender so check it out.
                    http://www.lowbucktools.com/hydbender.html
                    75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

I will be buying a tubing bender soon, wanted to see what people had and how they like their bender. I want one capable of 180 degree bends and something that will bend at least 2" round tubing. I'll likely be buying a manual version. Anybody had experience with anything other than JD2 or protools?
                      1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

I'll be ordering mine soon, I'm still gonna go witht the pro-tools 105
                        75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

The LowBuck tools bender is only a 90' bender, I live up the street from his shop. (SUPER NICE GUY) I bought it and returned it when I opened up the box. But His tube notcher IS AWSOME. It is faster and cleaner then any hole saw. I went with the special that was offered on pirate for the JD-2. I love it the manual is not so bad. **** If you find a poor college jeeper and pay him/her in tube/parts, in exchange for grinding, and bending***
                          Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                          Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
                          www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Working...
                          X