Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring over axle

i have my 86 cj7 and i'm thinking about doing a spring over axle. my cj already has a 2.5" lift but i was wondering if there was anything else i would need other than perches and a pitman drop. some of the kits come with new brake hoses and other gadgets but i already have new longer hoses from the 2.5 and they would be fine anyways any help would be wonderful thanx
    Jim
    ../l ,[____],
    l---L--OlllllllO 86 cj7 2.5" lift
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

I did a spring over recently on my '92YJ.

I went from 4.5" springs to 1.5" at the same time.

My F brake lines were already 28" but I had to stretch them to 30"

I had a dropped pitman arm but I still had to work on interference between drag link/tie rod and springs.

Parking brake cable needed stretching so did the rear brake lines to clear the new (larger) spring perches.

If you use the same springs the shocks may run out of travel. Same might apply to the drive shafts.

Bump stops will probably need some attention too.

In my case, it was one of those projects that sounds simple enough but ends up being a lot of work.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

i was looking at the tie rod/ drag link and looking at it i think that would be my only clearance problem. as far as the shocks go i think when i flip the u bolts and skock mounts they will still be the same distance apart only above the axle but im not sure. i'm pretty sure that my brake cables are going to be replaced with larger ones at least in the back. thanx for the input
      Jim
      ../l ,[____],
      l---L--OlllllllO 86 cj7 2.5" lift
      ()_) ()_)----)_)

Comment

Working...
      X