Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skid plate

Looks like I'll need to make something to put under the Jeep when this is all said and done. What to use is the question
    A friend recommened 304 Stainless, I know some have been using aluminum, and then there's good old fashioned steel.
    Thoughts?
    I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

I hadn't ever given stainless a thought before. Cost is the only concern I'd have with that material. Aluminum just doesn't make sense to me. Alum gawls (sp?) too easy. For me, it's all about being slippery. Hit a rock, slide over, get on with your life. I don't think that works with alum. Mine is 1/4" steel and flush with the bottom of the frame. Also, I don't have any bolts or holes to catch on the rocks. So far it's work'n fantastic.

Comment

I assume it's 1/4"? Any gussets or reinforment on the inside to keep it from bending?

Comment

I would say stay with steel as stainless is costly and will hold the heat from the exahast plus can be hard to work with as there are an awfull lot of types of stainless 304,308,309, 316L each being different in strength

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
          I assume it's 1/4"? Any gussets or reinforment on the inside to keep it from bending?
          Yeah, it's 1/4". All 4 sides are bent to add strength. You can see the front of the plate, it's bent at a 45* angle. There's also a bent 1/8" piece running across the center to mount the tranny to.

Comment

I did a channel cross member to support the trans and t-case, so I won't have that, but I could put the piece flat against that cross member for support I suppose.

Comment

Working...
            X