Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building up stock rocker panels

Enjoying browsing this forum. Lots smaller than jeepforum but I'm a small-town kinda person.

I have an 03 Rubi and am interested in building up my rockerpanels. I had thought about just replacing them outright, but I tried them out with a 3# sledge hammer from below and they held up ok. I hear they do not have that much lateral strength though.

I had seen the A to Z fabrication rocker panels and liked the design. Mattafact, I have them on my shopping list, but then the frugal bug bit me and I thought to myself why not just weld up the tubing on to the stock rockers? Is this not a good idea and for much less coin than purchasing new?!

Also curious as to whether the stock rockers either with or without the reinforcing tubing would be a suitable hi-lift jack/tow point.

Thanks in advance!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

You are right about the strength of the stock rockers on the rubicons. They are plenty strong when hit from the bottom, but the first time you lean into something from the side, they are worthless (trust me, I know). The weakest point is the last 8 or 10" to the rear of the jeep. If you bent and welded in some tubing, it would make them stiffer, but I would still question the strenth of them due to the lack of support at the tail end.

Personally, I sold my OE rockers after I bent the drivers side and bought some from Sun Performance.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

welding a set of tubes on mine right now I will let you know how they hold up . I also make ones out of 3/16 plate and 1 1/2 " .095 wall tubing . I'll btt the post . Give me a call if your interested ! And dont forget to ask about your MJR discount !!!!!

JIM :{>

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning View Post
        Enjoying browsing this forum. Lots smaller than jeepforum but I'm a small-town kinda person.

I have an 03 Rubi and am interested in building up my rockerpanels. I had thought about just replacing them outright, but I tried them out with a 3# sledge hammer from below and they held up ok. I hear they do not have that much lateral strength though.

I had seen the A to Z fabrication rocker panels and liked the design. Mattafact, I have them on my shopping list, but then the frugal bug bit me and I thought to myself why not just weld up the tubing on to the stock rockers? Is this not a good idea and for much less coin than purchasing new?!

Also curious as to whether the stock rockers either with or without the reinforcing tubing would be a suitable hi-lift jack/tow point.

Thanks in advance!

hi there apology for making this thread up after a long long years. but i was just thought that its better to bump this one than making a new thread since its about the panels. as my mechanic says i need to buy a new rocker panel for my jeep. but i was curious on where is the best store to look for it. hoping for the response. thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by ishie View Post
          hi there apology for making this thread up after a long long years. but i was just thought that its better to bump this one than making a new thread since its about the panels. as my mechanic says i need to buy a new [COLOR="black"]rocker panels[/COLOR] for my jeep. but i was curious on where is the best store to look for it. hoping for the response. thanks a lot!
          its me again. bump! this thread was done over a years ago.. well i supposed you are already done searching at ebay or craiglist? i bought mine in there.

Comment

http://www.genright.com/category.aspx?categoryID=143

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            X