Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find some steel?

I went to the local scrapyard to see if they had any seel for the bumpers I want to build and to my luck there was nothing I could use.
    So my question is what is the best and cheapest way to go about getting a small amount of steel for say, a front and rear bumper/tire carrier?

Thanks for the inputs in advance
    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Ryan,

Gonna be tough out in Ridgecrest - do you get into the greater Los Angeles area at all?

Several places in LA/OC/RC that have "rem" (remanent) piles, where you pay by the weight.

Bear in mind that steel prices have gone through the ROOF!
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

When the rem piles don't have what you need, there is a place down on PCH in longbeach that sells recycled steel. Pretty much anything you want, they have it all sorted and stuff....just call them up and ask for price and availability. IIRC, it is called "Action Metal Sales" or something like that.....or, if you want new, I always used M&K Metal in Gardena. They will sell you whatever length of whatever you want, although you do pay a premium for lengths less than full stick or sheet.

As far as something in Ridgecrest......I don't have a clue where to buy.
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Ryan,

There is a lot available over here in Lemoore. Local farm service is where I get mine.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

http://www.mkmetal.net/

i get my steel at m&k as well. if you walk into the steel storage area, you can gather rems as well. they have very fair prices too.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Well after doing some searching I found a place here called Praxair, I actually noticed they sold welding supplies and gas so I figured what the hell. They can order what I need for about 80 bucks, which I think is reasonable being that when I am done I will have front and rear bumpers, including the tire carrier.

I do like the looks of mkmetal, I love to walk into somewhere where there is stuff in stock. Home Depot should have a giant metal selection.

Thanks for the idea everyone.
            [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

I use M&K and the place on pch in long beach also. Both have a good selection. M&K has a larger selection. Also phraxair is a little pricey on welding equipment and supplies.
              ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
              00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
              97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMT
                They can order what I need for about 80 bucks, which I think is reasonable being that when I am done I will have front and rear bumpers, including the tire carrier.
                So we'll be seeing some picture of your progress and build.
                I'm torn myself, "should I build or buy". Unfortunetly I don't weld but a family member does very well, just need to get him on board.

Let's see some pictures, B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
                  So we'll be seeing some picture of your progress and build.
                  I'm torn myself, "should I build or buy". Unfortunetly I don't weld but a family member does very well, just need to get him on board.

Let's see some pictures, B&T TJ

Once I start I will post some pics. I have to wait till this whole x-mas thing is over before I can go get the steel. I am fairly new to welding myself but have found that I can get good penatration and some nice beads. Just alot cheaper to build than buy, specially if you have the equipment.
                  [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

Ryan,

You know you can come my way and I'll help you with the fab work. We should be able to make a set of bumpers in a weekend. I do have spare bedrooms if yo need it.

Al
                    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                      Ryan,

You know you can come my way and I'll help you with the fab work. We should be able to make a set of bumpers in a weekend. I do have spare bedrooms if yo need it.

Al

Thanks Al, I will keep that in mind, I like the way your bumpers turned out so I may have to take you up on your expertise.
                      [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

I buy full lengths of material I need for projects and try to buy extra lengths so i can have it for future projects.One time I called and asked for a price on a 10' length and after he gave me the quote I asked for the price for the full length and the guy said the same price.he told me he had to pay for a full length and cut it and store it until someone else wanted a short length.That convinced me.
                        I took a welding course back in high school 20+ years ago and have used these skills through-out the years.There are a lot of Vo-Tec schools and colleges that offer night courses in welding at reasonable prices.I love my Miller 185 and have an AC stick welder that my son is learning on.
                        "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Working...
                        X