Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made Quick discos/XJ

alright, finally got these suckers done. i started with the mod tam has a writeup on here about home made cheap quick discos. from there i extended my stock sway bars 2 inches by adding the non threaded part of a 1/2 inch half threaded bolt. I decided i didnt want to have the longer links hanging down. So i needed a way to disconnect the top. Well i have seen the ones you can buy for $100+ so i decided to make my own. Since i have my rear swaybar removed i took the little eye things that the bolt goes through to mount and cut them off. Then i cut the top part(just under the bolt) of my front swaybars, and welded the eye on. So now i have a swaybar with an eye on each end. to connect it i needed something like this...

That was my prototype i made. i asked the good ole fabricator Chris what size he'd reccemend to make these. told me 3/16ths. Got my metal together and started putting them together based off my model. finally got an agle grinder with a cut off wheel and it was soo easy to cut. after that was squared away, i cut 2 pieces of 3/16 x 1 1/2" flat stock into 2 inch sections for the side and one piece at 1 1/2" for thje top. drilled a 7/16 hole in each of the 2" pieces(towards the bottom) and also in the 1 1/2" piece right in the middle. Welded them into a U shape, then took th bolt i cut off the stock sway bar and put it in the 7/16 hole of the 1 1/2" piece and welded that sucker in. and basically had what is shown above, with thicker metal and no bolt head. then these pieces and attached them to the sway bar with a 7/16 cotter pin and key(im pretty sure that is what they are called) and also put a 7/16 cotter pin and key in the bottom. so now they disconnect with the cotter pin(like a hitch pin) on both ends...looks like this

Last edited by JeepGal; 08-31-04, 11:42 AM.
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

GOOD job Brett!

Sounds like you got it all figured out

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Lookin good dude! do they work well?
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

yea they work pretty well, i now just need a way to keep the sway bar up outta the way when its disconnected. For now its just a bungie cord.

oh yea can you guys still see the pics??
        B R E T T

Comment

my discos have a pin on the frame that they slide onto when disconnected. You might be able to weld or bolt a tab to the "frame" to keep where the discos need to be. add a cotter or quick pin, and there you go.

does that make sense?
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

hmm i think i get what your saying...ill have to check that out.
            B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
              hmm i think i get what your saying...ill have to check that out.
              I'll snap a pic

Edit: Here you go. Nevermind the rust!
              Last edited by Dukes69; 08-31-04, 09:32 PM.
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

ahhh gotcha looks good ill have to figure out something like that for the XJ. Thanks chris!
                B R E T T

Comment

I removed my front and rear sway bars and tossed em away
                  I really dont miss them at all

Comment

Working...
                  X