Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame cracks

Has anyone had this happen? First time I looked at the jeep since trip to Arizona (table mesa).

[IMG][/IMG]

IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Guess you got some strength in those guns still Curtis, looks like you cranked that steering pretty hard.
    Seems to me cracked due to frame flexing from the trackbar and steering forces. Some plate bit a welding and if all else fails a brace to the other frame rail and it's all better

Comment

Yes I have. The stronger steering parts put more stress on that frame ends. I added reinforcement by welding 1/4" fish plates to the frame ends after grinding out and repair welding the frame. A steering box strut helps too. The stock Jeep frames were never designed to take what we like to throw at it.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Which reminds me, speaking of cracks. I've been meaning to strengthen the front trackbar bracket.

I like how this is done, just a piece of tubing going from the inside of the passenger frame all the way over to the inside of the trackbar bracket on the driver side, which would be just under the crank pulley. Any idea what thickness of tubing would do good for this? would .120 wall be enough? Looks like that's maybe 1" diameter tubing in the photo here

Last edited by daniel_buck; 09-02-14, 07:26 AM.
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Sure have. Still need to weld them too.
          Check out .

Comment

Wow, I had a crack on my CJ7 frame, but not as bad as yours. I had a single crack that I drilled at the end of the crack, opened up a bit with a grinder and then welded. Never opened up again. Yours if more fun for your fab skills.
            Rich

Comment

Wrapped it with some 1/4 " U channel.

IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

There ya go all better

Comment

It was fun working on the jeep again. Been awhile. Spend all my time being a mobile beach and lake house for the grandkids.

Comment

Working...
                  X