Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Road camping trailer

I'm not real good at doing build threads but, Ive been building an off road camping trailer and I thought I would share some of the things I built.

Heres My trailer so far

This is a 3 axis hitch I whipped together Saturday. I saw one of these on another forum ( http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html ) and considering I'm tired of listening to my pintel hitch slam around, I had to have one.

The horizontal pivot is a one inch grade 8 supported by a collar and sleeved with a piece of DOM. The collar is drilled for a grease fitting.
    The vertical pivot is 1 1/4 DOM sleeved to 3/4 then a bronze bushing installed to 5/8 for the hitch pin.
    The 360 degree pivot is a 1 1/8 grade 8 bolt supported by a .240 wall sleeve, drilled for a grease fitting.
    I'm considering building a limiter so the trailer cant easily end up on its side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	side view.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	359167

Click image for larger version

Name:	Top View.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	359168

Im almost done with my water tank, water filtration system and shower.
    Last edited by Zoobi; 03-31-13, 11:57 AM.
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

Nice looking trailer! Did you start with a bantam trailer?

Comment

Is that same one you debuted at PV a few years ago?

Comment

The pink slip says 1951. I think it started as an m-416. Ive had it for about 20 years. I got it for AAT work. I had it on Holcomb Creek quite a few times hauling rock's and gear. Actually Jason that would be the Panimint run, so yes. I really started building it last August.
        Ive taken it out on some shakedown runs over the late summer and fall. Thanksgiving and especially a week Ocotillo Wells made me remake some things. One of them was my camp lighting. After changing my mind several times, I got my camp light mounts and wiring completed.

The lights are 12 volt, landscaping lights. The reason for the two different sizes is, the tall one lights up my cooking area from above eye level and the short one had to fit under the window awning. Their wired with 1/4 phone jacks, the sockets have sealed, spring loaded covers on them and I can swivel them on their mount's.

I also added mount's and plugs on the front corners.
        We have Cookies!

Comment

Looks great Scott. Nice work.
          Check out .

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Looking great Scott! It's really coming together nicely.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I like it. More pictures please. I really like the tower lights, nice touch.
              You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Didn't we beat that poor thing like a red headed step child on a Holcomb work day way back? That looks way different now. Nice work.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Yea, it's had a hard life. I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. The problem that I have now that its almost done is, I need something else to vent my "excessive compulsiveness" into. On that note. I finalized my water system.

15 gallon tank with a 1.5 gpm pump, 10" carbon water filter. I have a quick coupler in front to feed my triton water heater for the shower. In the back, another quick coupler for my "improvised" water faucet. I also placed moveable divider's to isolate my gear off road. Thank you to Nick for the help and advice on that part.
                  I have three camping trips this month to figure out the bug's.

Scott
                  We have Cookies!

Comment

Looking good Scott!!

Comment

Thanks mike,
                      How are you doing out there?
                      We have Cookies!

Comment

I'm doing good. From UTI I went to work at Ford then moved to Mazda now I'm second foreman at Volkswagen and specialize in heavy line and electrical. I go to VW training over off haven and Philadelphia and I usually end up with Dennis Haston from UTI when I go for training. I drove thru Uti a while ago bit didn't see your Jeep so I didn't stop. But that's about it. O and finally got married

Comment

Working...
                        X