Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom JK tire carrier

A biddy of mine wanted me to make him a bumper so here is what I came up with.

We started off with some 2x4 to make the frame rail inserts.

Then cut and notched to fit the supports that will frame out the bumper.

We started putting our measurements into the computer to see how much we needed to cut and where our bends would be. Then worked up the bumper frame.

Then it was time to start adding the supports to the upper frame of the bumper, setting it up so we could get a feel for the level. Made sure I could open the rear gate.

Once satisfied with the top, it was time to measure and weld in the frame rail supports, then put those initial components together.

The best thing about that design while building was that we could now set it on the welding table either side up and it sat perfectly.

We marked the holes while in the frame rails, then drilled them out on the table and welded in the nut for the front bolt.

Used the same measurement for the lower bar, then angled it upward. A little more cutting and grinding and we had our bottom piece. We added two supports to the bottom to off-center the upper supports, as well as giving us a new place for the license plate.

Now it was time to place the main tire carrier support and set the spindle in place. The spindle is not only really heavy duty, but is supported by the corners of the two bumper frame bars, its own tube cut to size and welded to the bumper, and a plate cut for the spindle and welded to the spindle tube we made and the bumper itself.

Next came the hoop frame for the tire carrier. We wanted to utilize the bends in the support beam to create a recess where the Kolpin fuel packs would mount, so we angled the hoop slightly toward the Jeep and tacked it on.

To be continued....
    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

We brought the latch around to the side of the main support so it could reach around back and give the best grip to stay closed.

Added a tab for the CB antenna, welded a smaller tube to the tire mount plate and slid everything on to test fit.

Added some plate onto the top to cover things up nicely. We also put some sheet metal in the lower recesses...

Some final fitting shots before bolting it to the frame and putting everything on.

Comment

You are really doing some great Fab work!!
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I figured Id stay busy while I was on vacation

Comment

Gotta love it man. Looks very nice and that fancy software you have is pretty cool too. Any idea how much that bumper weighs with the tire carrier?
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I was pretty heavy I used almost 40ft of 1.75/.120

Comment

Ill tell you what manually bending the HREW is alot easier than DOM hahaha

Comment

Nice 2x4 inserts and Koplin mounts. Finished product looks good.
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                  Nice 2x4 inserts and Koplin mounts. Finished product looks good.
                  Thank you sir

Comment

WOW...that bumper/tire carrier turned out great. It looks heavy though.

Comment

Originally posted by sharktoy2 View Post
                      WOW...that bumper/tire carrier turned out great. It looks heavy though.

Its no heavier than one made out of plate.

Comment

Working...
                      X