Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a great idea for a project, Jonah. Couldn't think of anything last night--was struggling to keep my eyes open at times.

Clean, well-fitted joints are very important. They not only make welding easier, they make a stronger weldment. Closely fitted joints also reduce distortion.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

I think I found a nice little welding project!

For my CJ, I've had to remove the shifter floor cover when I added the overdrive (which puts another shifter coming out from the floor). Right now it's just open, you can look down and see the transmission, and alot of heat comes out from there. Rather than hacking up the original floor plate (which I'm sure I could sell, I'd hate to hack up an old piece that someone else could use!) I think I'll start making a floor cover, and pick up some generic shifter boots to put on each of the 4 shift knobs.

I think that will be a nice project. It's relatively thin metal, it will be practical (less heat on the side of my leg!) and it's not a structural component or a component that would otherwise be a safety hazard if it is compromised in any way. :-)

I think the metal will be thin enough that if I needed to bend it, I could just bend it in a bench vice using tubing to bend it around. Though most of it will probably be angles, which I might just cut and weld instead of bending (since welding is what I want practice with!)

The center console for the CJ would be nice too! Thought I'll wait until I have the new seats in there before I do that.
      Last edited by daniel_buck; 09-07-12, 01:33 PM.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I know you've got the fabrication bug, but for me, certain things are left to proper manufacturing/yuppie purchasing.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fu...our-cj-555656/
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Well gitonit!
          holes = cowbell

Comment

I think all in all learning to weld on Aluminum isn't the best thing especially if you are going to build something that's not supposed to leak! If your welding experience is mig then mig it make sure you run straight argon and not a mixed gas. If your going to put threaded AN fittings of something like easiest way is to build that entire wall out of 1/4 inch that way you don't have to weld in bungs. Set the machine, lay a nice warm bead in there, don't forget to burr out your starts and stops keep everything nice and clean. put your top on last weld everything both sides recommend welding the inside first do not start in your corners run into and out of them before you stop. The corners normally are were your going to create your leaks. once you get the inside complete set your tank flat fill it with water put a few drop of die in it. Let it sit over night. If you have a leak fix it bur it out completely and weld it up. once you get your leak fixed cut and put 2 baffles in it equally spaced. Put the top on and weld it up. Most folk incur problems with aluminum with the cleaning and prep before welding. Do not use steel brushes grinding wheels made for steel, use a stainless wire brush and aluminum oxide grinding/cut off wheels, run a pre and post flow and good luck and take your time. I have a 22 gal cell in my YJ behind the axle with comp corners and the entire cell is under the jeep and hangs 2 inches below the frame rails. There a ton of room under there wide and flat. Have questions hit me up.

Comment

Originally posted by wtbone96 View Post
              I think all in all learning to weld on Aluminum isn't the best thing especially if you are going to build something that's not supposed to leak! If your welding experience is mig then mig it make sure you run straight argon and not a mixed gas. If your going to put threaded AN fittings of something like easiest way is to build that entire wall out of 1/4 inch that way you don't have to weld in bungs. Set the machine, lay a nice warm bead in there, don't forget to burr out your starts and stops keep everything nice and clean. put your top on last weld everything both sides recommend welding the inside first do not start in your corners run into and out of them before you stop. The corners normally are were your going to create your leaks. once you get the inside complete set your tank flat fill it with water put a few drop of die in it. Let it sit over night. If you have a leak fix it bur it out completely and weld it up. once you get your leak fixed cut and put 2 baffles in it equally spaced. Put the top on and weld it up. Most folk incur problems with aluminum with the cleaning and prep before welding. Do not use steel brushes grinding wheels made for steel, use a stainless wire brush and aluminum oxide grinding/cut off wheels, run a pre and post flow and good luck and take your time. I have a 22 gal cell in my YJ behind the axle with comp corners and the entire cell is under the jeep and hangs 2 inches below the frame rails. There a ton of room under there wide and flat. Have questions hit me up.
              Thanks for the info :-) I went with a pre-made cell, but I may eventually make a custom cell later on. Thanks for your insight
              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Working...
              X