Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cage for CJ2a?

So the more I drive my 2a every day (I love it!!) The more I realize that it's probably a death trap if I ever get hit and tip over (and it's fairly tippy offroad too, haha!). I'd like to look into the possibility of a roll cage, something more than just a B pillar roll bar. Something with A pillar bars that tie into the frame.

Can anyone recommend someone to bend up, weld, and install a cage? I've seen some kits available online, but I imagine the shipping alone will probably make it more expensive than having a custom one bent up locally.

I know the rough design that I want, pretty much the basic cage to protect front seats only, no family cage. I'm not sure if it would need to be tied into the frame at the C or B pillars, but I'd like to have at least the A pillar into the frame, and possibly a bit of frame reinforcing (boxing). It's been boxed in a few places, but probably not where the cage would tie into.

Anyway, I'm thinking that this might be on my list to get done this fall/winter, so I want to start looking around now. Looking to find someone who has a good amount of experience with cages that can be trusted.

Similar to this below.

Last edited by daniel_buck; 08-14-12, 11:11 AM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Talk to Kurt, he has a bender that's collecting dust

Comment

going to call him tonight, thanks
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        Talk to Kurt, he has a bender that's collecting dust
        Not dust, black widows...
        Lets do this thing Daniel. Always wanted to do a cage in a CJ.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

send me your number, I'll give a call tonight after work

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
            Looking to find [COLOR="red"]someone who has a good amount of experience [/COLOR]with cages [COLOR="red"]that can be trusted.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]X2, A-hole Fab won't steer ya wrong.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Already took measurements off the CJ I'm working on now. The dims are in the software generating a drawing right now. Gonna do a 8 inch set back on the B pillar for the seats that may come later.

Comment

can that software import 3d models for visualization? Or can it export the tube bends as a 3d model format of some sort? a few weeks back I started making a 3d model of my CJ, haven't worked on it much since, but I hope to finish it sometime. One thing I was going to do with it, was to mock up a cage and other things.

Comment

No, the program I use is only a 2D rendering. I might get the deluxe version 3D full tilt some day but this works fine for what I do. I do have an old version of CAD 3D, maybe I should see if that works for me.

Comment

ah, now worries. Was just curious :-)

Comment

When you have the cage made see if it can be built so that the original soft top will hide it nicely, to keep things authentic looking

Comment

I'm not really to concerned with a factory looking soft top. I'd just like to have a bikini top, and not use the factory bows (I don't have the bows anyway) I'll find out how the factory top used to mount to the windshield (I see a little groove, but that's it??) and then either make something myself, or have a local shop in the marina make something out of sail cloth.

Comment

Working...
                        X