Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary's Jeep

Figured I should start a build thread so I don't have pic's scattered all over the net. If this isn't the right section for this, let me know and I'll try to remove it.

This build won't be near as intense as what some of you guys are doing here. Some of the stuff I'm doing to my jeep is simple bolt on stuff, and some will require a little bit of fab work. The fab work I'm doing, and having a buddy help me with so far has been just to save a few bucks by recycling some parts.

I bought this 2005 Rubicon about 4 1/2 years ago, and slowly added parts to make it a little better trail rig. It's funny, how the harder trails I run the more I want to change things up. Who knows what this Jeep will transform into. lol

A list of things I've added/changed in the last month.

4" Currie Short arm lift with front Anti Rock, added control arm skids, and raised the stock TC skid . Had a budget RE short arm prior.

Just added a Poison Spyder hood louvre panel.

Modified the front Warn bumper. Hacked off it's ears, capped the ends, and added a stinger. Not done with this yet, I'm planning on adding a grill hoop and connecting it to the stinger.

Removed the hard top, and picked up a Trek top NX.

Just bought some Metal Cloak Arched fenders. Installing them this weekend, hopefully.

Still have to figure out what to do to the back bumper. As most of you already know I'm looking to lighten up the rear. Was thinking about a in the tub tire mount but for right now I'm thinking I'm gonna rework my Warn rear bumper and tire carrier. I added a jack mount, and Gerry can holder to it a few years ago, did kind of a sloppy job with it. I'm gonna remove the jack mount and can holder and all the heavy iron I used. then I'm gonna weld a gusset in behind the Spindle and add frame tie in's to stiffen it up.

Here's how my Jeep looks right now.

Nice Rig.
    [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks bud, broke away from work, over at my buddies getting ready to install the new fenders. Been a fiasco so far, my buddy had to move an Audi out of his garage but didn't have the keys. He was trying to roll it out with floor jacks and the front jack slipped and took out the oil pan.:omg:

Hope this isn't a indicator of how this fender install is going to go today. Will post up some pic's later today.

Comment

Got the fenders on.

Comment

Sweet!
          "I started out with nothing and still have most of it left."

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

You know you just got started right Poppa? Looking good so far, now go have some fun with it.

Comment

Haha, yeah I still have a little ways to go. Gonna get the back end squared away with corners, fenders next. Then ill go on to axles and gears, 35's, etc, etc. lol. Would've hit a trail today but had some other stuff to take care of.

Comment

Ran Cleghorn today for a little shake down run. Jeep rode, performed awesome. Really nice day up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                    Ran Cleghorn today for a little shake down run. Jeep rode, performed awesome. Really nice day up there.
                    Incredible build thread dad.....i'm glad that we both decided to get into the jeep sport together because it's something that we'll one day be able to pass on to your grandkids.....thanks dad for all of your support

Comment

Originally posted by clg82 View Post
                      Incredible build thread dad.....i'm glad that we both decided to get into the jeep sport together because it's something that we'll one day be able to pass on to your grandkids.....thanks dad for all of your support
                      If you were actually my kid this would be a haul mark moment, but since your not its just weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                        If you were actually my kid this would be a haul mark moment, but since your not its just weird.

Comment

Just pulled the swing away and spare tire off for the first time. Thats a lot of weight, the rear of the jeep popped up at least 2". lol .

Gonna pull the rear bumper tomorrow and install the frame tie ins and start cutting some iron off the swing away that I added to it for the jack and can mount. Was gonna make a gusset for behind the spindle but when I removed the swing away I realized I might not be able to do that because the hold down bracket has to be free in case I ever need to pull the swing away off again. Maybe I can bolt a gusset in back there? I'll take some pic's tomorrow.

Comment

Are you still going for a inside mount?
                            Dennis and Tammy
                            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I decided to hold off on making that move for now. Just not much room back there. Gonna try to lighten up and tighten up this Warn Swing away first. About 4 years ago I added some weight to it for a Gerry can mount, and high lift mount, gonna take it back off and install these frame tie ins and see how that works out.

Been driving it around tonight with the swing away off, sure feels different.

Comment

Working...
                              X