Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonka to commando conversion

OK, I made some changes to the Tonka jeep since I left CA. But before I left I picked up the Commando hood and grill from Scotty's jeep/truck salvage in Fontana CA.

Then Ater I moved to KY from CA (Army) I wanted to start on my project. I always like the look of the Commando grill but didn't want to deal with the old frame and body of a 69 jeepster. so the build started. I learned fast the difference of the 69 hood and the 80's CJ I had. the Commando hood was like 6 inches shorter than a CJ. So I had to attach 6 inches of the CJ hood to the Commando to make it fit.

Another Problem I ran into was the how the radiator mounted to the grill. The 69 jeepster had the little V6 that was set back, so the grill had 12 inch shroud/extension that would have been to much fab and custom work to make the CJ radiator fit and mount. So after close inspection I noticed that the (ears) is what I like to call them. Where the turn signal lights mount on the Commando grill. Could be removed and attached to the CJ grill with out to much work.

Then it was time to figure out what fenders I wanted to use. I didn't like my old factory ones or the flat tube ones I made some time ago that I used when it was Tonka jeep.

more to follow soon.
    75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

I love Jeeps that are just a little different

Comment

OK, well I didn't like either fender, so I built some new ones to match the new hood and grill. I got some 1.5 in. .120 wall tubing bent up at a friends house.

started to build the frame work and mounting of the fender.

Got the inner top frame attached to it.

more to follow

Comment

Ok, got the left and right inner fenders frames done and the grill cleaned and primed.

Ok now to start the outer fender tube, what a pain to to make multi angle bends and to make both sides alike.

starting to skin the fenders.

that was a odd shape to make for the top of the fender as you can see by the orange templet

more to come.

Comment

Really nice work man, I like one of a kind Jeeps

Comment

OK here are the finished pic's of the build.

I did ALOT of filling, priming and sanding, First time at doing body work. (not my thing) got some new tires some 25x12.50x15 MTZ. Then got a MAACO special paint job. ( It's a jeep after all gonna go off road and stuff)

Then about two weeks after the paint job when out Mudding with some Good Old Boys in KY. and put them to shame. Out wheeled a chevy truck with 39in. boggers and had to pull him out of a mud hole I drove through.

here is me pulling the truck out

then the day after in the driveway

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Comment

That jeep Rocks. Kinda different in a really cool way.

Nice Job.
              [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

thanks

Comment

Very cool. Its fun to play in mud. But I hate cleaning it and working on it, after the mud. Your grill/fender/hood job is a winner in the cool factor.:thumbs_up
                  It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
                  X