Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First welding project

Well, time for my first welding project. My first project is going to be a weldernator/generator. I have a Briggs & Stratton 6HP lawnmower engine, large case Ford 90 amp alternator, and Napa 12v/110v DC power convertor. Hopefully everything will fit in a 36"x18"x24" cage.

Plans will follow the Pirates of the Rubicon on-board welder. I will be installing a 12v dimmer switch in the field circuit to allow me to slowly ramp-up the alternator output rather than overwhelming the motor all at once.

Went to Patton's Metalworking in Baldwin Park to get some 1"x1"x3/16" angle iron for the framework. I was hoping to use aluminum plate to mount the motor as it is easier to work with but I am concerned that the motor vibration and tension on the belt will peen out the motor mount holes in the aluminum. The aluminum plate will of course have to be bolted to the angle iron frame. I think this is easier than brazing and also would allow me to change the motor mount plate easily, in case I get a stronger motor with a different mounting pattern.

Welding will be done with the RWII and batts with flux-core wire as it is what I have available now.

Photos to follow.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

That sounds pretty cool, make sure to keep us posted with lots of pics. GOOD LUCK
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

sounds interesting . . . keep us posted
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Re: First welding project

Originally posted by jmbrowning
        I was hoping to use aluminum plate to mount the motor as it is easier to work with but I am concerned that the motor vibration and tension on the belt will peen out the motor mount holes in the aluminum. The aluminum plate will of course have to be bolted to the angle iron frame.
        If that were really an issue, how do you figure your tranny stays hooked up to the motor in your jeep? Or the alternator, or the intake manifold, or the starter to the bellhousing?
        I am Savvy.

Comment

sounds like a cool project, but... are you not happy with the ready welder? it seemed to work very well on the trail, and i love the portability of it.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Dunno. I just know that steel pins for a shotshell holder peened out the holes in an aluminum Mossberg shotgun receiver. I figured that steel bolts would do the same with time to 3/16" aluminum plate.

Well, it's pretty irrelevant as I found a place that has the lawn mower mounts already cut out with the right bolt pattern and opening for the lawnmower engine. Kinda glad I found this solution as the opening for the lawnmower motor is only about a 1/2" away from the bolt mounts, IOW, not a lot of room for error.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Working...
            X