Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple YJ Build

I originally purchased this rig from Rockhead on here about a year and half ago. When I bought it, it had a D60 rear and lp D44 front with no steering hooked up. Bald 37s, fuel need to be plumbed and brakes. I first thought I can get this thing done pretty fast and start wheeling some of the those fire roads Art's alway talking about.

Here's how it came home over a year ago and going into the garage for more than a year.

As time went on, I decided to ditch the existing axles and go 1 tons as I originally wanted to run 4Deeez . I ended up going with 14 bolt rear and D60 king pin front. 5.38s F&R, Spartan in the front and Grizzly in the back. Thanks to Robert at RWK.

14 Bolt stripped

D60 getting ready to get stripped

Here's how it sat very sad as it started to become abandoned and storage while I purchased parts.

So I got off my butt and started working on it.
    14B disks

Picked up my 60 with the new gears and locker.

Ordered some chromo stubs and flanges for the front.

Rear Xmember hacked off to be replaced with 2"x4" square tube .25" wall.
    Last edited by SoCal4X; 12-11-11, 07:12 PM.
    YJ Stock
    BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Got the tons rolled underneath to see about how its gonna sit. Just chopped the rears fast to roll axles underneath, wasn't too careful with the sawzall as i would be getting comp corners in there.

I decided to run XJ leafs front and rear flipped around. With the extra pin hold for spring perches from Ruff Stuff Its sitting at 108" wb right now. Art came over and helped me glue some metal together. I military wrapped the frame mounted end of the springs by taking another main leaf flipping it and drilling a new pin hole. I had to add some extra leaves in the front pack as it sat like a stink bug the initial time.

Dragged this thing up to Art's house to glue in the shock towers and here's how it looked stretching the legs after being in the garaged parked for a long time.

Ford truck towers

For steering I am planning on running hydro assist. I originally grabbed an astro steering box, but didn't like how the pitman arm stuck out like a sore thumb. So I decided to relocate stock box and plate the frame with .25" plate and sleeve the new hole.

Just got these in a couple days ago. Genright corners.
    YJ Stock
    BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

These are my rock rings, I will be running Inner Air locks, just like the stauns.

Here's where I sit to get this thing moving. I need to get a ram for the box i already tapped and rebuilt and also extend steering shaft. I have to plumb my fuel cell, plumb the brakes with line lock, and get some drivelines. I did a 1" body and 1.5" MML to lift up the case and get more clearance, it still sits about an 1.5" under frame rails.

Anyone ever get any drivelines from tatton drivelines on ebay. Says he uses spicer components and dom, or just bite the bullet and go Tom woods? I kow everyone says Woods. Will .120" wall be strong enough to take the abuse at JV.
      YJ Stock
      BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

Go for thick wall tubes they might bed a little but will take the abuse. Tom Woods is pretty well on the ball price wise.
        See if you can get away with just a CV joint for the rear shaft. will save you some coin

Comment

Good looking Jeep, I may steal some ideas for my lil YJ. Hope to see ya out there in JV for KOH.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            Go for thick wall tubes they might bed a little but will take the abuse. Tom Woods is pretty well on the ball price wise.
            See if you can get away with just a CV joint for the rear shaft. will save you some coin
            Thanks for the help Art, you've been very helpful. I just heard last nite Santa's might be giving me a shaft! lol. I'll be talking to TW later today. is the normal .120" wall good enough? or .188" for shafts?

Anyone know of a lower profile TC mount, or anything other ideas of getting a flatter belly without cutting into the tub. Its about 1-1/2" below frame rails right now.

Tipze-z, feel free to ask about any details on the build. I just wrote something briefly and added pics, if anyone has any questions or wants any more details on something, feel free to ask.

Any suggestions are also welcome, this is my first build.
            Last edited by SoCal4X; 12-12-11, 07:52 AM.
            YJ Stock
            BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

Go for the thickwall tube on the driveshafts, they will get barberpoled and bend. You should be able to make a flatskid with a bit of work.
              You can form the tub a bit for clearance by pushing the transfercase up with a jack and using a socket or a piece of round bar on top of the transfercase to get the clearance needed where it hits.
              By the way nice to see the built thread and let me know when you need some more gluing done.
              Seems to me one of the first things to do would be to make it move under it's own power. Makes it easier to work on and also gives you a great feeling of accomplishment. Figured out yet what you going to make for an antiwrap bar for the rear axle?
              Last edited by aw12345; 12-12-11, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Go for the thickwall tube on the driveshafts, they will get barberpoled and bend. You should be able to make a flatskid with a bit of work.
                You can form the tub a bit for clearance by pushing the transfercase up with a jack and using a socket or a piece of round bar on top of the transfercase to get the clearance needed where it hits.
                By the way nice to see the built thread and let me know when you need some more gluing done.
                Seems to me one of the first things to do would be to make it move under it's own power. Makes it easier to work on and also gives you a great feeling of accomplishment. Figured out yet what you going to make for an antiwrap bar for the rear axle?
                I got the case where I think it's gonna live in the meantime. Gonna be working on the skid for it. I had to pitch up the 14B a bit since I raised the case. I just got my fittings for hoses on my steering so I can work on that also. Gonna be plummbing the fuel cell in and firing it up soon. Def looking forward to see that thing move under its on power. I'll keep you posted.
                YJ Stock
                BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

Make yourself a nice cradle for the fuel cell, the stock mounting tabs on those are not adequate for Jeepin. They have a habit of cracking the fuel cell.

Comment

The dollar signs are flipping around my eyeballs right now….Looks pretty sick I want a bad ass jeep with Flex like that. One of these days, one of these days...

OC Driveline makes some pretty good stuff at a decent price. Been doing it for years. Might be worth a call? (714) 993-6494 I personally have only had some repairs done there but a buddy of mine had some Bronco shafts done a spoke highly of them. Another coworker had some Ranger shafts done as well, he said it was the best work he had done to that truck after breaking other shafts. I know he does all the shafts for Don-A-Vee Jeep when they lift their Jeeps I know he also does some stuff with the NASCAR Fire/Safety crew for their trucks and built the shafts for a Monster Truck. Saw the truck there one time when I went to the Home Depot and when I went in for the repairs he had the pictures of it up on his wall. When I was there for an hour in his shop there were probably at least 10 people that came to pick stuff up and knew him and talked to him like he was their best friend.
                    Last edited by JK08; 12-16-11, 07:50 PM.
                    [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by JK08 View Post
                      The dollar signs are flipping around my eyeballs right now….Looks pretty sick I want a bad ass jeep with Flex like that. One of these days, one of these days...
                      You have one already lol just needs a date with a sawzall and a welder

Comment

Ya true I guess every Jeep is bad ass I just always want, want, want and want something “Better”… I guess I need to learn to drive the one I have before I step up with the big boys.
                        [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Jorge did you look for something like this yet?
                          http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/.../Antiwrap.html

Comment

Chop! Chop!

Originally posted by JK08 View Post
                            I guess I need to learn to drive the one I have before I step up with the big boys.
                            This will be my first time playing with the big pebbles.

Jorge did you look for something like this yet?
                            http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/.../Antiwrap.html
                            I already have the kit. I bought it about a year ago. I told you I've been collecting parts for a while. lol. probably leave that for after crossmember/skid, plumbing fuel cell, and firing it up.

Today I spent most of the time doing more damage than progress. So I go to try the socket trick to raise drivetrain. I put the socket where its making contact, on the bellhousing on top of the lil opening it has, like air hole cover. That lil cover from the housing it breaks in 2 pieces and falls in! I was pissed. Anyways, after cooling off, I was able to remove front cover of housing and get it out. That SUCKED.

I have my design for skid made out and just have to go pick up some metal and keep practicing with my lil glue gun, good enough for thinner stuff.

What size square tubing did you use against your rocker and rear corners, wall thickness .120?
                            Last edited by SoCal4X; 12-16-11, 11:05 PM.
                            YJ Stock
                            BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal4X View Post
                              Chop! Chop!

This will be my first time playing with the big pebbles.

I already have the kit. I bought it about a year ago. I told you I've been collecting parts for a while. lol. probably leave that for after crossmember/skid, plumbing fuel cell, and firing it up.

Today I spent most of the time doing more damage than progress. So I go to try the socket trick to raise drivetrain. I put the socket where its making contact, on the bellhousing on top of the lil opening it has, like air hole cover. That lil cover from the housing it breaks in 2 pieces and falls in! I was pissed. Anyways, after cooling off, I was able to remove front cover of housing and get it out. That SUCKED.

I have my design for skid made out and just have to go pick up some metal and keep practicing with my lil glue gun, good enough for thinner stuff.

What size square tubing did you use against your rocker and rear corners, wall thickness .120?
                              3/16 wall thickness and 1.5" square tubing, wanted something strong
                              Last edited by aw12345; 12-17-11, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X