Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Jeep is gone but I am back

I had to sell the Jeep but now I am back with the new project. I know it's not a Jeep but it is still a 4x4. Well not yet but it will be. I just bought a 1969 International Travelall 2 wheel drive. I got it for $500 with no engine or trans. I plan on putting in a sbc 350, th400, d300. The rest is still up in the air. I will post up as I progress.

It's not leaking it's marking its territory.

looks like a fun project Neil, it will keep you occupied for some time to come. I sure hope you get to hang on to this one a bit longer

Comment

Best thing about the Internationals is that they started with a Sherman tank, knocked off the turret and put it on wheels. Looking forward to see what it becomes!
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

I hope I get to keep it longer also. I worked on the Jeep for 3 years took it on 1 real 4wheelin trip and had to sell it. The things we do for our families. And yes this thing is solid.

Comment

Very cool project. That'll definitely a one of a kind on the train. Can't wait to see what direction you take.

That thing is big and heavy. I say go linked rockwells.
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
            Very cool project. That'll definitely a one of a kind on the train. Can't wait to see what direction you take.

That thing is big and heavy. I say go linked rockwells.
            I like your thinking. The rockwells are actually being discussed between me and the wife. I also started leaning to a 454.

Comment

that thing is sweet. id trade my jeep for a scout 2 in a second

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                that thing is sweet. id trade my jeep for a scout 2 in a second
                Thanks, the travelall will suit me and my family better. I have 4 boys and the wife so now we all fit.

Comment

Just a thought since it has the wheelbase, what about coming off of the th400 through an SM420? It would give a 7.04 additional low range. Yeah, you'd have to shift it at a stop, but the additional range selections would be incredible.
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Ive still got a spare sm420 that could be donated. It even has the t-case adapter.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                      Just a thought since it has the wheelbase, what about coming off of the th400 through an SM420? It would give a 7.04 additional low range. Yeah, you'd have to shift it at a stop, but the additional range selections would be incredible.
                      I didn't know you could hook a trans to a trans. Maybe you can enlighten me.

Comment

It shouldn't be too tough for a guy with the right skills and equipment. The 420 uses a 10 spline clutch disc. If you could get a piece of slip yoke outer and have a flange welded on it, you could couple it with a short driveshaft, like a divorced t-case. There may even be an enterprising individual that can mate the slip yoke off of the 400 to the piece that turns the 420 input. Yeah, sounds simple enough... It is possible, it would just take a lot of research and probably a lot of patience. I once read of a truck that the owner had stuffed in 10 manual transmissions before the transfer case - just 'cause he could. If you did go this way, I seriously doubt the ability of the 300 t-case to handle the torque of a 454 through a TH400 and then through a SM420. But it would be crazy cool to even run a 205 into rockwells.
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Ya if I go that way I would have to run a 205. I will have to think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by neilbyrd View Post
                            I like your thinking. The rockwells are actually being discussed between me and the wife. I also started leaning to a 454.
                            I remember you mentioning that your wife helps you work on your rig. Now your say'n she helps you pic out your drive train. You take wheel'n as a family activity to a new level. Very cool.:thumbs_up
                            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Yes we do. Me and my wife like to spend time together. We have a strange marriage, we actually get along.

Comment

Working...
                              X