Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front axle

Thinking of taking my currie HP third member out of the rear axle and putting it in a currie or spidertrax front housing. What do you think I should use for the inter and outer knuckles. Maybe a junkyard axle?
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

For the C's and knuckles use dana 60 stuff or something equivalent from solid or currie or spider trax, strong u joints and front axle shafts will take care of the 37's and beyond

Comment

The 609 is all the rage. If I had the budget, that is where I'd go.
      F450 bearings, 9" center section
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Yea I would love to have one. But a front axle that cost the same amount that my jeep is worth is hard to deal with.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Curtis have currie built you a Ford 9" housing with Dana 60 outers would make a pretty sweet axle

Comment

Art what knuckles should I use do you think? Do you think I need to go to 17" wheels? 15" is my choise. I'm thinking Iroc or Pitbull tires.
            I will run the 35" tires for most of what I do. And I will run 39" out at the Hammers.
            Last edited by curtis; 06-20-11, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
              Art what knuckles should I use do you think? Do you think I need to go to 17" wheels? 15" is my choise. I'm thinking Iroc or Pitbull tires.
              I will run the 35" tires for most of what I do. And I will run 39" out at the Hammers.
              The bigger rims would allow 1 ton brake calipers, would make for much better stopping, however those will not fit inside of a 15" rim, next best thing would be the Chevy 1/2 ton calipers they should fit inside a 15" rim. You would want knuckles that will allow you to run the 35 spline outers with dana 60/70 sized U joints and capability for drive slugs and warn hubs. That being set your wheel bolt pattern would have to go to 5 on 5 1/2" for the hubs.
              You would want selectable hubs in the front since the going story is that the 9" high pinion axles do not oil the bearings very well in a front axle application it works fine for wheeling, but for continued high speed driving they want the oil level up higher etc, selectable hubs would resolve that. If Currie could make you something like that it would be sweet. Also do not make the axle to narrow those big tires need room to articulate and turn

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                You may want to consider what tires you want to get first. That may determan your wheel size for you.
                It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                  You may want to consider what tires you want to get first. That may determan your wheel size for you.
                  Very true 17" truthfully would be the best bet lots of 37" tires and bigger do not come in the 15" rim seize anymore
                  As far as brakes go same thing flies the 1 ton calipers do not fit in 15" rims but work awesome

Comment

Working...
                  X