Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first beads ReadyWelder II

Made with a ReadyWelder II using flux core wire. The victim was a piece of 1/8" plate. Power was supplied by two poor OEM Jeep batts that had been retired from automotive duty by the Blue Top Optimas.

These are my first ever welds, so I appreciate any criticism regarding technique. I used a 30-45 degree drag angle. Distance was a bit harder to judge. Never froze the wire to the work though.

Current and voltage looked to be a little excessive as I was penetrating all the way through with a little bit of drip. I don't quite know why I have cratering around the edges of the end of the beads.

What did I learn?[list=1][*]MIG welding is fun![*]MIG is very forgiving![*]Welding with batts and this MIG gun in the field is probably very doable[*]I have a lot more to learn[/list=1]

Now, batt welding is very interesting and useful, but I think I'd like to eventually get an AC/DC CC/CV stick welder to attach this thing so I can weld with a bit more control of the current/voltage. The garage is getting a new 100 amp subpanel with 240V for goodies.

Suggestions needed on:[list=1][*]stick welder[*]compressor[*]plasma cutter (probably some time down the line)[/list=1]
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Ok, I'll be honest about equipment selection. People don't like to hear this, but I have found it to be the truth. Once you figure out what size of welder/plazma cutter/etc you will need and can afford, then double both your budget, and the size of the equipment. I'm not joking. My first welder was good for about 1/8", I figured that was all I would need....HAH! That lasted about a year before I had to replace it....to the tune of $1150. Don't make the same mistake I made, save yourself the $$$ and do it right the first time. You will end up with the bigger machines anyway, why goof around and do it twice (kinda like when you lift your jeep). Personally, if you are going to fab off road stuff, get something that will get through 3/8" on a single pass, and check the duty cycle (50% or better for a weekend warrior fabricator). Stick with brand names, buy from a local welding supply (they can be a valuable source of info down the road, and if you are a paying customer, they are much more likely to help you out).

For welders, I like Miller, but Lincon makes some nice machines, and of course Hobart and miller are in bed together. For a plazma, I chose Hypertherm, but Miller makes a nice machine too....I've never used any other brands, but I am sure that there are some other good ones around.

If you want some good advice about equipment selection, get ahold of Jim at JC fab, he started as a weekend fabricator of jeep parts, and has worked his way into his own shop, so he will have some really good, real world experience with a variety of equipment.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

you are going to love to have that thing on the trail. if not for the peace of mind alone that is a great weld anywhere tool. for the garage, however, there are many other better options.
      great tool, and some fine first time beads. try sticking a couple of pieces together now
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

When you are at the end of your bead stop but dont let up on the trigger, the puddle will fill the crater. experiment with this and your starts and stops can look the same.

Comment

yeah, you will get better w/ the readywelder, check out the beads on the axle i just redid w/ mine in the new thread.. a little splatter, but that's just cause i'm runnin some high-powerd class 31d batteries.
          beer.. the cause of, and solution to.. all of life's problems. Come find me. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000361801890

Comment

your off to a good start , ugly welds that hold are way better then pretty ones that break . the ready welder is good trail tool . I am a big miller fan , but to each his own . just keep practicing and use TWO hands ,one as a guide . I cannot stress the benefits of a good helmet enough . If you are not using an auto dimming helmet go to your local welding shop and pick up a gold lense . you will see SO much more .

JIM :{>

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone! I am having a new subpanel put in the garage with a 50A 240V outlet for whatever shop needs I will have.

I have an autodimming helmet from HF. Pretty cool, it is pretty fast, but I just get a glimmer of the arc. No itchy burning eyes though after an hour of fooling around with the Ready Welder. I'll be sure to get a set of gold lenses for the Missus' goggles.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

yeah the gold #9 lens works awesome. when i had a reg mask its what i used after much frustration w/ the dark green #10/#11 one on the first mask i had.
                beer.. the cause of, and solution to.. all of life's problems. Come find me. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000361801890

Comment

Working...
                X