Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for ideas on moving my spare tire off my bumper rack and mounting in back.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Hay Curtis did you ever see mine when I had it mounted to the floor? It was a 40% mtr and I let all the air out to wedge it in then I put all my other stuff on top.
      You can make it

Comment

Last trip I had my spare standing up behind the seats strapped down to the rear seat mounts worked fine for me.

Comment

I was thinking of mounting it horizontal above my duster with a hinge at the rear so I could lift it up and out of the way. Then I could get to my storage box behind the seats. What do you think?
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Sure why not, you might make a slide of sorts so you can pull it backwards easily otherwise it might be a bear to take it out.

Comment

Wow! looks good Curtis it was a big surprise seeing all the work you have done on our last outing. I want to get rid of my heavy bumper rack also. Thinking of doing a stinger setup and mount the spare tire on that or in the bed.

Comment

I can't see the pictures on my work computer but can give you an idea of mount for your spare. Just a thought since I heard slide mentioned a couple variations popped into my head.

1. Get some barn door track(C-channel that is almost closed) Make brackets and mount with the mouth's facing each other on your rear fender wells. Weld fronts closed. In the back drill holes to drop a spring pin or hitch pin through to lock rolling carrier in place.

Make a platform for your tire with short legs on it and attach the rollers to the carrier platform. Pull pin slide back and then drop pin back in before last wheel. Let the carrier drop down so tire is now vertical and lower to ground.

I will see if I can draw and scan as picture so you get the idea.

Comment

Working...
                X