Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror design

Hey there guys and gals.

Josh Snyder here, working on a mirror design and looking for some input. Need to know if this is a pipe dream or if this could get my Fabrication business started. This is my first design which before I was even done welding up I had redesigned not once but twice. The concept is the same, but mirror visibility is better and it will be one part with one weld.
    The reason I made this was I don't like the big plastic mirrors that come with Jeeps or the aftermarket options and have made every effort to take the Barbie Jeep (plastic Jeep) and make it metal again. You may notice I have the mirrors inside on the cage, but do get concerned when the poe-poe is around when the doors are on. Also they do not have factory mirror visibility.
    About the mirror, the bracket is 1/8" metal with a 5" convex mirror. As I said before I am on a 3rd design. The finished product will be much cleaner, better mirror location, powder coated.

Give me some input:
    *Would you even be interested in purchasing some thing like this & what would you expect to pay.
    *Powder coat- shiny or flat
    *Mirror-crome or black
    *Any one interested in a bracket that mounts to the windshield hinge so the mirror is there with doors on/ off?

Once I get some feed back we will see if it will be worth while to get a Business name/ lic and move forward.

Thank you for any input you may have.
    Build it right the first time.

I like it. But I think you would do better mounting it on the windshield hinge. Most people buy new mirriors in an effort to get them off the door so they can run door less. I would probably be willing to pay about $45 for a pair if they mounted to the windshield frame.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

prob be nice if they could be pulled in and out or adjust somehow..

Comment

Nice work! I like the small round mirror, and I like how they're held close to the body. Looks sleek. I agree that they would be better mounted to the lower windshield hinge. The only thing I don't like about them is that you can't fold them flat. I'd put them on a hinged arm of some sort. If that arm is mounted to the lower windshield hinge, it will absorb the impact of the door swinging wide and hitting them.

If you look closely at the pic below, you can see a motorcycle mirror attached to the upper door hinge.

I got that off of a tube door I bought from Josh/ wombraider940, and he got it off his Ducati. It actually looked really clean there, and I plan on welding a little hinge onto the windshield frame tubing or the flat part of the former lower windshield frame hinge. I'd like to buy a matching mirror for the other side, but I haven't been able to find one just like it. The passenger mirror would have to be mounted differently and/ or have a longer arm to really be usable. Anyway, the good thing about the hinged arm is that it allows plenty of adjustment for both greater visibility and better clearance in tight spaces--like the compact car spaces at the mall.
        Last edited by inVERt'D; 08-20-10, 10:42 AM.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

I like it. I've been looking for stock 03-06 mirrors for a while to replace my junk Smittybilt mirrors. I would definitely consider these if:
          -They were hinged, so they could be folded in.
          -They could be mounted on the windshield, WITH windshield lights as well. (not a huge factor but it might help make the sale, for me at least)
          -The passenger side is visible (some aftermarket mirrors on the passenger side aren't worth a damn)
          -The drivers side mirror doesn't vibrate too bad!

As far as color, I'd like all black. Glossy or flat, doesn't matter to me. I'm not a fan of chrome. I would be willing to pay $50 - $75 for a good, solid, functional mirror.
          -Justin

Comment

teel ya what build some for an xj and ill buy a pair.

Comment

I like the mirrors and I have been looking for some because i need some to take my top off....I know my top is supposed to be off by now, but I need mirrors. When I take my top off the doors go too. I need mirrors that will attach without doors either to the lower windshield hinge ( I have KC lights on the upper windshield hinge already,..just mounted them today) or to the door hinge. I prefer black, gloss or satin. $50-75 if it has the hardware included.
              I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

You're on the right track Josh!

I like the suggestion of the bracket mounted to the windo frame and include a mount for lights also.

BTW - CJ Mirrors are all metal but the passenger side is all but useless.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

I like it Josh.
                  But putting them on the windshield hinge with the door on they would have to stick out a bit more than that I would think.

Scott

Comment

In addition to mounting to the windshield for doorless use, the only way I would buy them would be if they could be run with and without doors. I have a pair of these which were relatively cheap, fit well, but the way they fit I cannot leave them on with the doors.

I want some mirror brackets that enable me to run with and without doors without having to move my mirrors. I would have a lot more doorless days!
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Yeah Matt, I have a pair of those cheap quality Omix brackets somewhere. You can run them with or without doors, but the thing that sucks is you have to remove them to remove or reinstall the doors. The sheet metal ingeniously blocks the hinge. Guess that could be good, cuz doors are popular to steal apparently.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

I guess I have my work cut out of me.

So you guys want a mirror that-
                        *can run with/ without doors.
                        *you can actually see out of when you are driving because they don't vibrate.
                        *will include a usable passenger mirror.
                        *will work with the windshield up or down.
                        *has light brackets.

This is a tough group.. haha

As Scott said, being off the windshield hinge has it sticking out a bit. The door design I currently have has the mirror at it's outer most radius of 5" off the door. With a pivot for a windshield hinge it will allow one to tuck the mirror in out of the way. I am working on the pivot points for the windshield hinge mount, my only concern is vibration making the mirror no better then the old CJ style of mirrors. Also the drivers and passenger brackets will not match due to the issue of the door hitting the mirror when the passenger door is mounted. Only think I can see is a design similar to the CJ's.

I am up for the challenge & will be back with the Jeep mirror that no one has given us. Or at least for some more input.
                        Build it right the first time.

Comment

Working...
                        X