Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Trailer build!!!

Well The first trailer was great a little too big for my taste. The bigger the trailer the more crap you take on your trip. Plus my goal is not to break the bank in gas but allow me to carry essentials on camping trips and enjoy the Jeep and leave the Nitro on chrome wheels at the house

After I put the the rack on a great guy with a JK made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So I sold it here is a pic with rack.

Before I spent the money on my Harley i placed a few orders had some tubing shipped to the house along with my trailer parts and now I got a killer light weight trailer.

I actually bought a set of TJ fenders for the trailer but the tires stuck out too much and it didn't look right so I made some fender out of 16 gauge metal that Endura steel cut for me. Drilled some holes welded, heated it up and made my bends it came out great!

Now I'm off camping this weekend too enjoy the trailer. I am planning on building some cross brackets on the top for a rack or for a paddle boat I plan on picking up tomorrow to take with me.

Trailer specs.

68x48x24 the basket is 20x48x10 box is 4x4x24
    3500 lbs spindles
    1250 each leafs
    10k pintle hitch
    adjustable lunnete ring

Can you elaborate on the axle? There's no clear picture of it. Did you buy it or build it?
    What is the suspension if any?
    Does the lug nut pattern match your Jeep axles?

That's a great project!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Sure Roger! I built the axle... 3500 spindles welded Into 2 inch 120 wall round tubing.
      The leafs springs are 1250 lb ea along with 3500 Hub assembly all purchased from trailer supply. I didn't go with 3500 leafs because from experienced they tend to be really stiff on small trailers. Plus I'll never tow that much I just wanted the heavy duty-ness.

Last edited by mywifesjeep; 05-22-10, 11:27 PM.

Comment

what did the spindles come off of?

Comment

Spindles

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
          what did the spindles come off of?
          Bails they didn't come off anything they are for trailer building, the spindles are just 1 3/4 trailer spindles that slide into either 2 in square or round axle tubing.

Last edited by mywifesjeep; 05-23-10, 09:00 AM.

Comment

ok you said 3500 so thats why i asked. never built a trailer before.

Comment

Oh yeah my bad I see now! Oops .

Comment

Really nice work Mike. I like it.
                Check out .

Comment

Nice build!
                  One more question from the uneducated though, Why is the shackle mounted forward of the axle as opposed to behind it?
                  An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                    Nice build!
                    One more question from the uneducated though, Why is the shackle mounted forward of the axle as opposed to behind it?

Custom! lol no i looked at some other trailers online and that's what I found. It might be wrong but it rides great. I also did my other trailer like that too and it rode awesome.

Comment

Looks great! Thanks for the pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by 100dollarman View Post
                        Looks great! Thanks for the pics and info
                        You know Mark that first trailer in the pics is the one I brought by your shop that day that was falling apart.

Comment

Nice build.

Scott

Comment

Mike did you opt for that style of hitch connector? Don't they clunk something aweful? In my search for multi-axis couplers, I found two that look decent:
                            "Lock-n-Roll" http://www.locknroll.com/index.aspx
                            "MAX Coupler: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/coupler.html

I ended up buying the MAX. Will be trying it out this weekend for the first time.
                            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                              Mike did you opt for that style of hitch connector? Don't they clunk something aweful? In my search for multi-axis couplers, I found two that look decent:
                              "Lock-n-Roll" http://www.locknroll.com/index.aspx
                              "MAX Coupler: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/coupler.html

I ended up buying the MAX. Will be trying it out this weekend for the first time.
                              Yeah they clunk really bad when the trailer is empty. When it has a load its not that bad. I too want to go with the multi axes once i sell some crap out of my garage. I am very picky with noise and it will get put to the test this weekend with a little trail riding en-route to the lake.

Are you the same Nwoods on expedition portal? I actually saw your post today about bike on top of adventure trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X