Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear bumper mount strengthening

I need to strengthen the rear crossmember, that the rear bumper mounts too. With my tire carrier, and the need to get my dogs in and out of the back of my TJ, while my pop-up trailer is hitched. I need to use an 18" extension in the receiver. Thus extending the tow ball way out past the spare. The problem is that it puts a lot of leverage on the bumper. This downward leverage is causing the top of the bumper to lean away from the jeep. This causes the swing away tire carrier to, no longer rest against the bump stops. I'm afraid that one day it my just rip right off.

So if I replace or, strengthen the crossmember/bumper mount. I think that will salve the problem.
    Any thoughts, ideas or experience would be great. Thanks.

I wanted to include a photo but the url from picasa was rejected. How can I upload a pic from my own computer? :confused2
    It was like that when I got here.

There are some really talented fabricators here on MJR, but I’m not one of them. I have though pondered this for quite a while. I have the Dirtworx rear bumper and tire carrier and people have the same problem. If you talk to Matt2001TJ here he can tell you how one of those receiver hitch cargo baskets full of wood bent his Dirtworks bumper/tire carrier out about 15 degrees. The simple answer is, don't do that then. I really think that having a tire carrier on the bumper is beyond the capabilities of the rear cross member. Though some bumper tire carriers seem to handle it with little ill effect most do not. Particularly the bumper tire carriers that hold fuel cans and highlift jacks. IMHO I think that the solution to this problem is to take the tire carrier and fuel cans and highlift off the rear bumper. I hate to just throw more steel at it and hope it fixes the problem but you could try to use the GenRight 3/16 steel rear cross member with frame tie-ins. It may help but I think it is just a band aid.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I wish I could, just not have all that weight on the back. But thats not an option. I like that gen-right brace. I'll give'm a call monday and see what they think. Of course they'll tell me to get it.

Thanks, Joe
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
      X