Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is where the tierod is going to go, will make Bulldozing without to many ill effects an easier task to acomplish

Comment

• Ordered some flathead bolts yesterday and did some more mocking up. Also found oud I need a bigger countersink drill bit, with some luck that will be here tomorrow. Once I finish that and drill the new spacers for the tierod I can start flexing it and see what I need to do with the trackbar and ram mount.

Last edited by aw12345; 08-20-11, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Got a handle on the tierod part on to double sheer for the draglink

Comment

• Do you have to notch the frame again to raise the track bar for proper geometry? Looks like it only need to come up about 3"s and your good.

Comment

• gonna try to lower the frame end first

Comment

• Hot doggy, it takes a big shoehorn to get all this stuff in there where want it.
              Got the trackbar bend up and made some dummy mounts. So I could check for clearance, need to notch the frame a bit to clear the trackbar at full stuff and then recheck and if that works I can weld some proper mounts together.
              My next step is to make a dummy pitman arm, the draglink and the tierod get into a fight the way I have stuff now. Making the high steer work with about 4.5" lift and maintaining close to 6" of up travel is a serious pain in the neck.
              Wifey gave me 2 weeks to get it done before she bugs me again with home remodeling so I will be a busy beaver for awhile.

Comment

• Cut up a pitman arm last night, tacked it together today and it looks like I am getting a heck of a lot closer to a working high steer

Last edited by aw12345; 08-23-11, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• Well it looks like I am pretty darn close to fitting 10 pounds of crap in a 2 pound can. Going to get some steel tomorrow and built me a sweet pitman arm

Comment

• Nice, waiting to see the custom PM arm. I just can't get my front to work with out coilovers.
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

• Originally posted by curtis View Post
                      Nice, waiting to see the custom PM arm. I just can't get my front to work with out coilovers.
                      The cool thing with making a pitman arm is that can match the travel of the heim end of the pitman arm to the travel of the steering arm so there is less strain on the knuckles with the steering cranked all the way against the stops

I guess the way to do it is get the travel on the suspension to work the way you want then get the coil over hoops tacked in and the travel of the coilovers worked out then fit the steering in there. Just keep playing with it, till it all works
                      Last edited by aw12345; 08-23-11, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• The coils and other stuff just don't work well together. With coilovers you can move the axle forward and then deal with the rest.
                        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

• Stretching the front 6" or so is a major undertaking, coilovers buy you a little more room, but mostly a better ride and easier flex

Comment

• Did some more chipping away at my pitman arm project, finished turning the splined hub, and cut the blank for the arm out of a big hunk of 1" steel plate. Once I clean that up some more I'll bore a hole through the plate, that is about 14 degrees of center to give it the twist I want. Going to do that by cutting a piece of pipe at an angle and then tacking it to the back of the blank so I can bore it on my little lathe.

Comment

• Very impressive work Art.

Comment

• Welding metal that thick I think a preheat is in order and a possibly a heat treat and real slow cool down after your done. It is a crucial steering component dont want that peice breaking.

Comment

Working...
                                X