Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how are you guys making hi-lift mounts that lock?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how are you guys making hi-lift mounts that lock?

I'm using 2 bolts that fit through the holes on the hi-lift and 2 wingnuts. I've tried drilling a hole through the bolts for a lock but I can't find a lock that small that's strong enough or drill the hole for a normal size master lock straight enough so it won't mess with the threads. Is there a better way?
    Thanks, Mike

I just put a lock in the hole next to the wing nut so the nut couldn't be turned.
    The Master lock I have ( either a #1 or #2 ) fits tight against the "I" beam of the jack.
    If you can find a lock that has a cover for the key hole, thats even better.

Steve
    All slow and no show

Comment

So you're putting the lock on the jack itself?

Comment

Yes, not on the wing nut bolt, the hole on either side of it.
        All slow and no show

Comment

I like this idea.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/in...unt-43263.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/in...unt-43263.html
          I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

How about using a locking lugnut on the threads?

Hint: Porche had a pretty sweet locking cover that goes over a lug nut/bolt

Or you could go alittleoff's route, but extend the platform for the jack so that the lock will go through the jack and into the platform
            An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Thats actually what I did. The mounting plate has a bolt welded to it and a hole next it for the lock.

Steve
              All slow and no show

Comment

I like that idea

Comment

I have one of those Porsche style lug nut covers. They come on Suzuki Grand Vitaras. They match the ignition key. Suzukis are a lot easier to find in the junk yard.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I really like the idea of starting with the 1/4 split collar clamps from MSC industrial that Platnumb4x linked us to and mounting it to the roll bar.

Since I've got a 60" jack I would just mount it front to back on the driver's side of the Jeep interior at an angle or horizontally just over the wheel well.

This idea has given me some ideas about mounting other things over the wheel wells attached to the roll bar.

Christian
                    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I bought the hi-lift kit on ebay (from Summit) and it came with all that (bolts had holes ready for a lock), then used a lock from Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wheelinmike View Post
                        I'm using 2 bolts that fit through the holes on the hi-lift and 2 wingnuts. I've tried drilling a hole through the bolts for a lock but I can't find a lock that small that's strong enough or drill the hole for a normal size master lock straight enough so it won't mess with the threads. Is there a better way?
                        Thanks, Mike
                        reading comprehension fail
                        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                          Are you making fun of me? If so hell yeah I failed that

Comment

i bought bolts big enough to just fit in the holes of the jack. drilled holes in the fenderwells just behind the back seat. secured the bolts facing up. drilled a hole in one of the bolts so i could put a lock on it. used my tap and die to clean up the threads and whallah! no ones getting my highlift, its kept from the elements and it wont come off and kill someone in a roll!
                            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                              sorry mike it was in referenece to the post above mine.

I bolded the part about a small lock, because I am assuming you arent comfortable trusting locking duties to a luggage lock.

Another option might be a (gun) cable lock.

Comment

Working...
                              X