Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed the OEM fenders. Question?

Well, I removed the fenders to see if I liked it and I do. Looks better without the plastic. I am not 100% sire if I will put tube fenders in the back or not. The front will get tube fenders though. Well, as we all know about the dewalt defect? Some times, it just keeps going and going and now all the fenders are gone

Question? Do I just cut the step off for the side rocker panel/step? Does the new panel use any of the OEM brackets?

Also, anyone with some photos on what there rear fender loks like trimmed?

Thanks

Before you spend money on front or rear fenders for that thing, you need to get some good rocker protection.

Tube fenders up front would be cool. I'd put those plastic flares back up in the back, though. They will actually give your tub some protection in the rocks. Get some corner guards when you want to play rough and don't waste your money on those Bushquackers.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Imho...
      holes = cowbell

Comment

I was going to do rocker protection first. Since I assume the sheet of metal needs to go all the way across. How much to you think the metal for the panel would run me? The other link has the tubes already bent I go finish with that route.

http://shop.jeeptubes.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

Comment

A-Z is $259 for square tube step. Looks cool. But, how much is metal really to try to do it myself?

Comment

I suggest you buy a pair of rocker guards--with or without tube. That panel of metal needs to wrap underneath your rockers as well--like an 'L.' It should be 3/16"-1/4" thick mild steel (aluminum would be nice, but more expensive). It should be sandwiched by your body mounts and countersunk bolted to your tub. If there are backing plates in the inside of the tub, that would be good. If you were to make it yourself, that would be a fair amount of work, assuming you could even bend that thick of metal. Yes, you could weld two sheets together in an 'L,' but that would require a few passes (depending upon technique), because the outside corner should be ground to a 1/2" radius or better so you're not gouging it into rocks. While you're doing all that welding, you will have to keep those two pieces square when they would rather be forming a more acute angle as the weld bead cools and shrinks. Getting the picture?

The price of the metal (assuming we're talking about mild steel) isn't much of a factor compared to the work. Metal prices can vary a lot, you'd have to check around.
            Last edited by inVERt'D; 03-23-10, 09:20 PM.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

A-Z has the best price I see.

How do I remove that old step? Just cut it? Doesn't matter where?

Comment

yeah, I was going to say the metal isn't all that expensive. I usually buy out of the remnant rack for about $0.70 a pound. I think my rock slider material weighed about 60 lbs. But it is a lot of work to figure it out, do the cutting and welding, then the finishing (painting or powder coating). If you have the tools, the time and like to build stuff - then go for it. If not (especially the tools, you can spend 10 times the Jeep), then buying the parts is a safe bet.

Comment

I am a cheap bastige with a welder, I made my own rocker protection from 3/16". the full sheet cost 140 for 4x8x3/16". I don't have a way to bend that heavy of steel so i cut 4 pieces out and welded them into a pair of rockers. For mounting the underside of the rockers use the rear 2 body mounts on the tub and are bolted to the front of the rollcage, the side of the rockers are justed bolted through the body.

I also made small steps from left over tubing from the stock roll cage. Didn't want a full length step, just a small one to help the kids get in/out.

All said in done I saved money over vendors products, but lack the fit/finish of the vendors offerings.

Plus i have enough steel leftover for a flat belly skidplate, and a planned rear bumper.

"It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                    A-Z has the best price I see.

How do I remove that old step? Just cut it? Doesn't matter where?
                    I had the same stock step, the removal of mine started with "Awesome Canyon", you can try that method...

Or cut the boltheads where they come up through the floorboard and they fall off. The nuts will be seized on the bolts and complete pita.
                    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

hey ron id be looking at wheels rather than flares. those is ugly. and i have an idea for rockers.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                        hey ron id be looking at wheels rather than flares. those is ugly. and i have an idea for rockers.
                        I replied to your PM..haha!

Ya, I want to go with black wheels I think. It's on my looong list. The locker, and rear axle was top. Wife wanted the step to get in/out easier. So, that's next. That's why I did what I did today...Keep her happy!

Comment

Be carefull runnin around without fenders over those tires! Cops will love you!!!
                          "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                            Be carefull runnin around without fenders over those tires! Cops will love you!!!

I was going to say the same thing! Stock flares in the rear look fine on Jeeps.

As far as fabbing goes, if you don't have the right tools and equipment, draw up a simple design and get a price from Bear Valley Fabricaters or Smith Iron Works (Mitch works for their parent company) they can cut the metal, and drill holes in it for you.
                            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                            MJR moderator
                            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                              Have you had issues with cops in your area over this?

As for the rockers, IMHO buy some that you like andbolt them on.
                              To make a quality set of rockers is more than just a piece of angle with some crap welded to it.
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X