Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Cage Question

I have a couple of questions about roll cages….I want to add a trial cage to the stock system on my 04 TJ, either the Genright or Poison Spider setup that welds to the stock system, and tie it to the frame. I want the trail cage because I still want to use the soft top, and eventual hard top.

Is the stock roll bar material DOM, and If not, does welding the better quality tubing to the cheaper tubing take anything away from a good roll bar?

Also, how does a bolt in kit like Rock Hard’s compare?
    Any input is appreciated.

thanks

Not sure on the TJ stock rollbar material. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I remember the Tj cages are a bolt together unit from the factory, unlike the yj units that are welded except for the 2 forward bars that extend to the windshield.

I welded to the stock Yj rollbar and it worked out great. Actually had a second yj rollbar and cut it up to make small connection gussets and a few other things. The main rollbar was the same thickness material as the dom that i used for the front.

My advice is this, if you want a cage for just in case and for one good use, buy a sport cage either weld or bolt together and run it. These will save your life and occupants lives in all but the most extreme situations.

If you want a cage for tackling hard trails and want to roll/flop pick up and keep rolling, buy/build a complete cage.

I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate an X brace in the B pillar of my cage that still allows people to get in back seat.
    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Originally posted by one_crf_pilot View Post
      I have a couple of questions about roll cages….I want to add a trial cage to the stock system on my 04 TJ, either the Genright or Poison Spider setup that welds to the stock system, and tie it to the frame. I want the trail cage because I still want to use the soft top, and eventual hard top.
      The problem with these is they lack the most basic features of a roll cage . . . triangles. Straight tubes do nothing for cage strength. When looking for a cage, try to find one that has some triangles, especially over the drivers compartment.

I
      s the stock roll bar material DOM, and If not, does welding the better quality tubing to the cheaper tubing take anything away from a good roll bar?
      I'm pretty sure the stock tube is seamless. The "B" and "C" pillars are decent foundations to start from.

Also, how does a bolt in kit like Rock Hard’s compare?
      Any input is appreciated.
      I'm pretty sure rock-hard lacks triangles. Most cages do. It's pretty difficult to get the head clearance you need while keeping it low enough to fit under a top. That's why most manufacturers take the easy way out and do straight tube by your head.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The stock TJ "sport bar" is not DOM. I wouldn't know what to call it, actually, except pretty weak for as heavy as it is. The main hoop of the TJ sport bar is one piece (welded). The bars from the B-hoop to the windshield are bolted on.

Aside from the lack of sufficient bracing at windshield (no A-pillar), the other main weakness of the TJ sport bar is it's lack of lateral strength and rigidity. The whole thing will get bent sideways in anything more than a little flop, and your tub will suffer along with it.

The TJ sport bar has no triangulation, all kinds of dimples and bends in the tubing to make it weaker, and the floor plates are also very thin. It's a pretty lousy roll bar, which is why they call it a "sport bar." Still, it can save your life in a mild to moderate roll, and can be improved with a "trail cage" kit. Just figure that if you actually roll it once, the cage will be done.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

While we're on cages, a buddy of mine rolled his TJ backwards two or three times and bent hiss rollbar forward an inch and a half. Now his top won't seal. Anybody know how much a TJ roll bar goes for and where to find it?
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

craigslist, or check with shops that install/fab custom cages, may have one sitting around.
            "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

I've still got my old one sitting here, but it's bent sideways.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

you could always buy a full cage.
                Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Full cages are the way to go! As for replacing a stock "bent" one, wait for somebody selling theirs. (I sold mine a while back).
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I am selling a genright full cage. drove in it maybe 2 times. no damage. listing up pics in my thread
                    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Womb Rader 940...I sent you a PM..

Thanks all...I would love to do a full welded cage, but as I mentioned I need to be able to use the soft top and eventually a hard top. I understand triangulation is a must for integrity.

As much as I would like to, I do not plan on extreme wheeling where a roll/flop pick up and keep rolling is an option with this TJ....maybe someday. For now, just something better than stock.

A buddy has advised me that a bolt in would be better than welding quality DOM (trail cage) to the stock cage tubing. And since I cant really weld very well maybe the Rock Hard bolt in is the ticket for now.

Thanks again

Comment

This is what I and some others here did. Definatly cheaper than a rockhard cage. http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14407

Comment

Jeeperator/Beau,
                          I really like that ! Thanks for the link..it,s one more thing I need and want installed soon ..very cool
                          "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

thats cool, I will contact them Monday...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by womb raider 940 View Post
                              I am selling a genright full cage. drove in it maybe 2 times. no damage. listing up pics in my thread
                              That's a nice cage!
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X