Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack&Tap

That hack & tap looks like I can do it for the price. Anybody know roughly how much a Cherokee front driveshaft goes for?
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

$100 or less. You still would need to have it cut down.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I used a Cherokee shaft when i did my SYE.

picked up the shaft for 30, then took to driveline shop, had it cut down, new joints and cv, total from them was 190.

I actually lucked out the sye kit, got a used Rubicon express with shaft/tailhousing/speedo adapter for 75.

I would suggest getting a complete kit that shortens the t-case and gives room for a longer d-shaft.

What is the length of shaft you will have with a hack/tap?
      "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

If at all possible I would buy a regular sye kit instead of a hack and tap, the hack and tap kits still use the stock necked down output shaft, where as the SYE kits use a shorter output shaft that is not necked down and stronger than the stock one. I got a TJ front driveshaft with good u joints and CN you can have for 50 bucks will throw in a 231 tailshaft housing that has the seal in it so you get rid of your slipyoke style housing while you are at it and you can happily hack and tap. Can give you the stock TJ output shaft also.

Comment

I have a front Cherokee drive shaft and the hack & tap kit available if you need one.

Comment

Right now I'm looking at my options. I've been looking at the mega short SYE kits, but the need for food and electricity keep overriding my buying power. I can make the seal plate and incorporate the bushing to support what there is of the slip yoke. I'm not familiar with the TJ setup, are there advantages? I know it's not as strong as an aftermarket setup, but by shortening the stock shaft, it still reduces the amount of stress on the shaft by bringing the u-joint forward. It also fits my budget a whole lot easier. I'll have to wait for tax returns before I can commit to anything. I appreciate your input.
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

i have a front d/s also if you need one....

Comment

im doing the same hack and tap that ur going to do. only question i have is where can i get the seal and housing. there got to be a cheaper way than r.e. they want 175 for it. i was hoping to find a housing that accepts a stock seal. maybe have one made. and why do u have to cut the front shaft. the stock rear is longer than the stock front.

Comment

Stock tail housing of TJ will work fine, I got one if in dire need and a lot less than what RE wants

Comment

what t case for the tail housing. are the 231 same for the tj/ xj the same or different. and still why do u have to have the front driveshaft cut down?

Comment

On the cheap you would take a xj front drive shaft (has the cv joint you want) and have it cut and rewelded so if fits in the rear makes for a cheaper rear driveshaft.
                      Typically between 100 to 150 instead of roughly 300 for a rear cv driveshafts. Tail housings on the 231's and the output shafts you should be able to interchange, might want to go for a shaft and companion tail housing

Comment

so does thius mean that i just use the tail housing from a tj or do i have to take the shaft and all? and what about the speedo gear on an xj they are cable driven. arent they electronic on tjs

Comment

TJ has an electronic speedo but the sensor for it is gear driven

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            On the cheap you would take a xj front drive shaft (has the cv joint you want) and have it cut and rewelded so if fits in the rear makes for a cheaper rear driveshaft.
                            Typically between 100 to 150 instead of roughly 300 for a rear cv driveshafts. Tail housings on the 231's and the output shafts you should be able to interchange, might want to go for a shaft and companion tail housing
                            How thick is the XJ front DS wall? I wouldn't want to do that with something like the TJ front DS...I don't even like it for a front DS.
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

From what I understand, quite a few people did this mod and are happy, for that matter drive shafts on big trucks aren't more than some thin wall tubing either, as long as they do not dent or crack near the welds they do just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X