Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Made Grab Handles

Howdy,

There have been a couple of threads on this topic in the past but I thought I would share my solution which I completed last night.

I'd looked around for Kayak handles but couldn't locate any locally. However I did find some "comfort grip" push bike grips in the local discount store for NZ$6.99 for two. These are symetrical high density foam. I located some 7/8 inch OD black plasic pipe and cut this to slightly shorter than the length of the foam grips so when the end caps were pushed on they sat hard up against the foam. I had to buy twice as many hand grips 'cause each on only came with one end cap The end caps were drilled out with a 10mm drill to allow space for the 32mm wide nylon webbing to pass through. As others have discovered the mounting bolts for the speaker bar in the back of the 4 door JK are perfect for mounting the webbing straight to (just push a hole through the webbing with a Phillips head screw driver to preserve the integrity of the webbing. For the front passenger grip I took a turn around the roll bar, and through the inside of the two slot plastic buckle.

So far the finished product looks pretty stock and seems to do the job.

Sorry for the low quality phone camera photos, let me know if you woudl like better ones
    [/IMG]
    Last edited by Tycho; 01-20-10, 06:27 PM.

Nice work. I would have never guessed you made those yourself.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Those look real nice. Good write up and thanks for the info.
      I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

I've got some home made grab handles too . . . only took a few years worth of drinking beer and eating poorly to make mine though! Yours look better.
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Those look great! Better be careful; this fabricating thing can get WAY out of hand...
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

Nice! I love home-brew fabbing!!
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Those are really clean looking! Just a caution on those types of grab handles, though: you don't want to be holding one in the event of a rollover. Your hand would likely end up between the tubes and the ground and get crushed.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                X