Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 passenger front seat in YJ

Constantly flipping a seat back and forth on the trail was getting annoying. I wanted both kids up front with me when on the trails. So I searched and searched. Found 2 threads on a solution.

late 90's-mid 2000 ford ranger front 60/40 bench seat.

went friday and found what i needed, a slightly(ok kinda crappy but serviceable) 60/40 bench from a 2000 ranger for only $65 including all seat belts.

Some key things to note. the bolt holes in the yj seat risers are 11" apart front to rear, the ranger holes are 12" easy solution, drill two extra holes in each riser on the yj.
    The ranger seat i nabbed had literally 20 cold rivets holding the ford risers to the sliders. ground all the rivets flush and knocked them outta the sliders.
    Make sure to grab the seat belts out of the donor truck. The ranger seats come with integral seatbelt sockets in the seat, and you will need the shoulder harnesses from the ranger.
    There are two tabs on the ranger seatbelt mechanism, both of those need to be flattened to install in the jeep.
    If you plan to make full use of the bench and the center seat belt you will no longer be folding the drivers seat forward, unless you get a longer belt for the center.
    The passenger seat once mounted can still fully fold forward to allow access to the rear seat area.

Tested the seats comfort today for myself and the two younguns upfront. Decent ride, and no complaints from the kids.

I didnt get any pics of my seat setup. But here are links to the sources of my inspiration.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...nch+front+seat

http://www.novajeepers.com/index.php...topic&p=112563
    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

You know, it's funny you should mention that today. I've got all the seats out of my Jeep right now, and I was wondering what a bench seat would be like up there. As much as I like that center console, it's almost like some kind of birth control device... not a real cozy arrangement, know what I mean. :wink:
    holes = cowbell

Comment

I was planning on getting a YJ for my daughter just because of the center console and the BC properties intrinsic to the brand, no rear seat, no top, pine needles and dirt on the floor...

But really, cool mod, I think that's really cool.
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Go snap a picture and post it! It sounds like a really great idea!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Comment

Great mod,and those seats look comfy.

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
            I was planning on getting a YJ for my daughter just because of the center console and the BC properties intrinsic to the brand, no rear seat, no top, pine needles and dirt on the floor...
            LOL ,Thank God I've got Boys
            Dennis and Tammy
            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Great mod! How old are the kids though?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                Great mod! How old are the kids though?
                Ron,my youngest boy is 13 and could ride on my console but he isn't built like dad
                Dennis and Tammy
                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Thanks Dennis,

I might just do that then! The seats I have are worn (not torn). When I am ready, that might be the route I go!

Comment

Son is 4, daughter is 9.

I put my son in the middle with the lap belt when on trails and daughter in passenger seat, plenty of room.
                    We tried it with the carseat in the passenger side and daughter in middle but wasn't very comfortable. We still use the backseat for the road to utilize the carseat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                      Good thinking. The only thing i would worry about would be her flipping it. Fortunately, girls don't have the same stupidosterone problems we do...i mean...did when we were younger.

That is pretty cool. I think that's the most comfy looking SWB Jeep I've ever seen. You know if you have ever slept in a Jeep in which you can't recline the seats, you'd appreciate that mod.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

I would not want my 4 yr old in a lap belt only or anyone in just a lap belt in the front of my Jeep. In my opinion, it is not safe. They have the carseat laws for a reason. I'd want him in a carseat with a full harness to keep him from moving too much and in the event of a freak rollover or accident, he's secure and has no way of flying out or hitting anything.

It's a great idea...just my :2:

Comment

that seat looks at home in there. great job:thumbs_up
                          :devil: Giffer

Comment

Working...
                          X