Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a 4 Cylinder work off road

Can a Jeep Wrangler 4 Cylinder work off road or should I be better off with saving for a lil bit longer and get a 6 cyl

Definitely! There are several folks on this forum that wheel hard with four-bangers. I'm sure that they will be happy to post up their opinions.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Oh it'll work but if you plan on going anywhere other than off road you might be regretfull. They get tired on the freeway and the hills. Get a 6 you wont be sorry you did
      I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Originally posted by platnumb4x View Post
        Oh it'll work but if you plan on going anywhere other than off road you might be regretfull. They get tired on the freeway and the hills. Get a 6 you wont be sorry you did
        What platnumb4x said, but add sand, hill climbs and mud.

Comment

My little Yellow beastie does just fine with only 4 cylinders. The highway driving is ok, going up Big Bear is a bit of a chore but I can keep up with the 6 cyl boys. In the sand it lacks most is harder since I need a good run at it. for rocks you would never know the difference

Comment

I would save for the 6, the four does fine, but the 6 is nice to have. :2:
            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

4cylinders at great offroad. But if you think you will drive on the freeway, pull a trailer, or get a hardtop, then you will be better of with the 6cyl. And don't by one with a carb. The the fuel injected ones don't cost any more.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

If four is good, six has to be better! Go with the six, they are plentiful probably close to the same price. The gas mileage is pert-near the same but a lot more torque with the six. Also,there are more ugradess you can do to a six.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

I ran the 2.4 for years and loved it
                  the 2.5 is a bit waeker
                  I do not know of anyone who has a 2.4 that does not like that engine, it wheels fantastic and does the road nice, not as nice as the sixes, but you will love it.
                  censored for having an opinion

Comment

Get the 4 popper, then get 4 more for good ol' Rocky Mtn. power. Would the smog laws allow a V-8?
                    All slow and no show

Comment

Yes you can do a V-8 swap. It needs to be a complete engine (and computer, smog equip, etc) from the same year or newer. I would also go talk to your smog refferee before starting the swap. I had to go through the refferee process when i put my HO in an older model jeep. The Ref was a really nice guy, and did the shop classes at a Junior college. Well worth seeing what the guy wants to see from you, as he is the one that will be signing off on the swap.
                      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Add a weighted inertia ring to the flywheel in your 4 banger and you will have an incredible engine in a light weight jeep. The thing will flat out crawl with the best of them (think tractor motor). Keep in mind that the original 24 hours at the Hammers race was won in a 4 banger jeep.

It may not be the latest and greatest in jeep building, but a 4 banger WILL definitely work. You won't be winning any hill climbs or top freeway speed contests, but it will crawl and trail run very well. If money is an object, a 4 banger is worth serious consideration. Of course, more horsepower and torque would be nice, but it does come with a price (additional upgrades may be required). Just my 2 cents.
                        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I have a 4 banger with a 5 speed and it works just fine off road, I would recommend a gear swap if your planning on running anything over a 33" tire though. The stock 4.10 gears (or 4.11's in my case) are killing me on the highway, so 4.88's will do the trick! 4.56's would also work well.

When I'm off road with a group, you would never know that I have a 4 banger! They have plenty of low end torque and they will get you through anything you throw at 'em!

To be honest, I never worry about my engine being able to handle what I'm about to do, I only wonder if my open diff's will get me through it!

Scott
                          Last edited by avjeepfreek; 10-25-09, 09:16 PM.
                          "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

I was wondering when you would chime in here Scott.
                            His 4 banger gets him through everything...
                            That said....
                            get the six!:omg:

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                              I have a 4 banger with a 5 speed and it works just fine off road, I would recommend a gear swap if your planning on running anything over a 33" tire though. The stock 4.10 gears (or 4.11's in my case) are killing me on the highway, so 4.88's will do the trick! 4.56's would also work well.

When I'm off road with a group, you would never know that I have a 4 banger! They have plenty of low end torque and they will get you through anything you throw at 'em!

To be honest, I never worry about my engine being able to handle what I'm about to do, I only wonder if my open diff's will get me through it!

Scott
                              My husband and I both have 4 bangers, both do well off road. However, mine sucks on the freeway since it still has the original gearing. Tom's does wonderful on the highway since he's had a new engine (still a 4) and gearing done.
                              1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                              Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Working...
                              X