Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i need a cage...

Since installing the ragtop, im basically out of wheeling until i get a cage, the unibody is groaning a little more than it used to.

Any advice from the pros? buy a kit and get it welded? or start from scratch? I can weld but dont feel comfortable doing this myself.
    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

I might know where you can get some exaust tubing. I hear you can build a whole cage out of that stuff and it's easy to bend too!
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

dude i like the way you think! wanna cruise to pep boys after work and pick up some of that stuff with all the wrinkles in it? then we can bend it by hand and use those shiny band clamps to keep it all together!

dick:beer:
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Just looking out. =)
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

it would be extra cool if that was actually my exhaust routing, it would be nice and toasty inside

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Do you have the capability to notch the tubing? What would be an estimate on materials?

I'd say if you can do it yourself...don't be a puss and go for it. If needs be, we'll come over and help you flip it upside down to test it.

If it's a great looking job, I may talk to you about my needs for a cage also. [/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

No, he needs someone to do the cage for him. He(we) would like to help but dont want to trust our mig boogers with lives.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Yes, a cage is serious business; I shouldn't joke about that.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

if you don't mind spending the scratch Rock Hard makes a really nice XJ cage, and then you could just weld in tabs to stiffen the unibody...

as far as the exhaust routing joke... dude, milk came out my nose! it was not cool! you guys are a riot!
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                    ... dude, milk came out my nose! it was not cool! you guys are a riot!
                    Jesse - As I recall, you did the same thing to me

OK - back to your thread
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                      Since installing the ragtop, im basically out of wheeling until i get a cage, the unibody is groaning a little more than it used to.

Any advice from the pros? buy a kit and get it welded? or start from scratch? I can weld but dont feel comfortable doing this myself.
                      T and J Performance has a decent kit. They can install it also.

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                        T and J Performance has a decent kit. They can install it also.

ya.. i second that.. i have installed about a half dozen of those cages.. went to gether fairly easy.. you could use ur MIGbooger to tack it together and pay someone else to finish it..
                        [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                        PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

The D and C Extreme kit is also a good base to start with.

I know an XJ owner with a modified (added triangulation) DandC cage that went end over end (he said 5x) and he walked away.

Comment

If you buy one of our cages you will get a online discount whether you pick it up or we ship it.

http://tandjperformance.com/store/in...&products_id=8
                            Store Wide Discount for MJR members
                            Enter "MJR" in the Discount Coupon field - www.tandjperformance.com - http://www.barnettperformance.net

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                              If you buy one of our cages you will get a online discount whether you pick it up or we ship it.

http://tandjperformance.com/store/in...&products_id=8
                              I can't speak for the T&J cages directly, but I can say that I stopped by their shop today and was very impressed with Tom and the T&J shop. He gave me a tour and they definately have a good knowledge of off-road builds. They are doing some cool stuff. Lot's of used drive train parts available for sale too.

BTW, thanks again Tom. I put the new HD diff cover on tonight. Looks great.
                              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X