Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretching a cj5?

hey guys I havent been on here in a while. Well I'm in the middle of doing a small block chevy build for my cj5,the 304 took a dump on me and I have everything but a camshaft and intake... anyway thats another story.

I have a chevy 14 bolt rear and a dana 60 to throw under her and I'm pretty much definate that I'm gunna need to stretch it b/c I'de like to be able to use a little of the power I will be making.

I am wondering what kind of springs I can use if I stretch it? I'de like to use a longer spring and maybe retain the factory front mount... but if there isnt a spring that I can use I have no problem fabing up some new front hangers.

I'm new to all this jeeping stuff, but the unit won't be a rock crawler yet... I don't have the funds to build the suspension I want right now mainly b/c coilovers are gunna cost soooooo much.

any help is VERY appreciated!
    80 cj5- under going sbc swap, dana 60 and 14 bolt sping overs
    86 cj7- stock.

ever heard of a CJ6 ?
    censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
      ever heard of a CJ6 ?
      or a CJ7?

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]I had these same questions.

I love my CJ5, but it's a really damn SWB. I was considering stretching the frame and body about six inches. But I'm just going to stretch the wheelbase, a little.

I was always so worried about the engine/drivetrain length not fitting under the stock body/frame. Then I got my copy of JP Mag with this '73 CJ5 in it. I think I'm gonna steal some trix from him for a little while...till I can afford more expensive trinkets.

Of course, this is AFTER I put my current CJ5 body back together. It's a little broken.

Why a 14 bolt if you don't mind me asking? You do a lot of mudding I assume? The axle is hella strong, but you lose so much ground clearance with that HUGE pumpkin under there.[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
          [COLOR="Sienna"]I had these same questions.

I love my CJ5, but it's a really damn SWB. I was considering stretching the frame and body about six inches. But I'm just going to stretch the wheelbase, a little.

I was always so worried about the engine/drivetrain length not fitting under the stock body/frame. Then I got my copy of JP Mag with this '73 CJ5 in it. I think I'm gonna steal some trix from him for a little while...till I can afford more expensive trinkets.

Of course, this is AFTER I put my current CJ5 body back together. It's a little broken.

Why a 14 bolt if you don't mind me asking? You do a lot of mudding I assume? The axle is hella strong, but you lose so much ground clearance with that HUGE pumpkin under there.[/COLOR]
          what year is yours, I have a spare cj6 frame

Comment

what year is yours, I have a spare cj6 frame
            [COLOR="Sienna"]Mine is a 1974.
            It's odd to hear what Jeepers have as "spare". I usually might have a spare pen, a spare pair of sunglasses....
            [/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Mine is a 1974.
              It's odd to hear what Jeepers have as "spare". I usually might have a spare pen, a spare pair of sunglasses....
              [/COLOR]
              well I picked up this frame a while baack, was going to be scrapped, could not see a 6 Frame scrapped.
              it needs a bit of tlc, but is availible if you want to stretch that puppy. A good sanding and a few passes with a welder and possibly boxing it and it would be a great start for a solid stretch job

Comment

well I picked up this frame a while baack, was going to be scrapped, could not see a 6 Frame scrapped.
                it needs a bit of tlc, but is availible if you want to stretch that puppy. A good sanding and a few passes with a welder and possibly boxing it and it would be a great start for a solid stretch job
                [COLOR="Sienna"]Is this something you need to unload quickly? I currently am staying with a buddy at his place and my storage capability is limited...to zero.

I appreciate the offer!![/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Is this something you need to unload quickly? I currently am staying with a buddy at his place and my storage capability is limited...to zero.

I appreciate the offer!![/COLOR]
                  come look at it, you can help me move it and we can decide on the particulars.

Comment

im also a proud owner of a cj 5 that is in need of some stretching,, did you guys ever make anything happen with that frame if you cant make it happen i would love to be next on the list to grab it,, let me know

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Actually, we did not set anything up yet. I'm REALLY getting bogged down with getting hired onto a new job, and don't have any Jeep $$ right now. I have no heartache if ZZR wants to make a deal with you. First come with money; is first served IMO.[/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Actually, we did not set anything up yet. I'm REALLY getting bogged down with getting hired onto a new job, and don't have any Jeep $$ right now. I have no heartache if ZZR wants to make a deal with you. First come with money; is first served IMO.[/COLOR]
                        If you really feel that way
                        then I am open to any who wants it, pm me

Comment

Working...
                        X