Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Cleaner Can Kill You!

I use brake cleaner all the time to clean parts before I weld them. It doesn't seem as nasty as carburetor cleaner (e.g. Berryman's B-12), which has made me sick before (while rebuilding a carburetor). Once recently something hit my nose while welding that was really nasty; my nasal linings were sore for the rest of the day. I just stumbled across this posted at another forum and I thought I'd share. It's not just brake cleaner that's dangerous. Read the following:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
    holes = cowbell

Cr@p! That stuff can be bad news!

Comment

Pretty sure it will only create phosgene w/ Chlorinated brake cleaners and flames so use only non-chlorinated versions but still be careful breathing the stuff and espcially around flames or high heat as it is flammable. I use brake cleaner to clean a lot of parts on the car but I make sure to use it outside or w/ a fan to my back as the stuff stinks and can irritate.

Checked my Non-C labels and no mention of phosgene, etc. Also be careful w/ flames and R12 refrigerant as it too can become phosgene, not sure about other refrigerants, maybe someone else knows?

Comment

It seems uner normal use, it should be okay. Just not around open flame or welding. Pretty scary stuff. I use the crap all the time.

I now have a good topic for my next Safety Meeting at work. Thanks for posting this.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

WOW thanks for posting that. I will pass it on.

Comment

Reminds me of the time I mixed Clorox bleach and Comet together.... on purpose. THAT was terrible. Fortunately I was in the Army at the time and had my gas mask so I clean up the mess. =)
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Good 2 know...
              I use brake cleaner all the time.
              Scott

Comment

Working...
              X