Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Low Budjet Hi Lift Jack/Tire Carrier

Since I cant afford to buy much for my Jeep I'm gonna buy a used Hi Lift Jack and a used Tire Carrier for my TJ. Both are rusty and old but I'm gonna put some work into them and try to make them look new. I will post some pics later.

That is a very good way to go. You'll enjoy the work and in the end have a nice tire carrier for little to no money. If there is a place nearby you that does sand blasting it is one good way to get all the rust off.

Comment

Hopefully it turns out good. The used tire carrier is $50.00!!!! And the Hi Lift Jack is like $30.00

Comment

Sounds like a deal. Now you are only $5-10 worth of spray paint away from being done.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I need to buy something to sand it with too... But would spray paint work?

Comment

Rustoleum has a paint that I think is called "Hammered Finish". The cap on the can is dimpled or something.

It looks great and covers a multitude of sins..
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ13 View Post
              I need to buy something to sand it with too... But would spray paint work?
              Spray paint works great. Most of the work is prep for the spraypaint. There's also a product called P.O.R. (Paint Over Rust), but I see no reason to paint over rust when you can remove it. Unless you're just lazy.

One of my favorite tools for removing rust is an abrasive wheel that goes on a drill motor or angle grinder. They're kinda like a round, heavy duty Scotch Brite pad with grit glued into them and a thingy for attaching to a power tool. They're great because they strip off paint and rust, but don't screw up the good metal. You can find them at Wal-Mart or Home Depot, etc.

Once you're down to shiny metal, you'll want to wipe any dust or oil off. A microfiber rag with acetone or lacquer thinner works good.

Next, you'll want to prime the metal. There are several ways to approach this. If you didn't manage to get 100% of the rust off, there's a product called Rust Converter; I like the kind in the spray can. Otherwise, a good etching primer is a good first coat. You don't have to get fancy; you can just spray it down with some sandable, zinc-rich primer, and it should be ok.

I think the all-around favorite offroader paint must be black Rustoleum in a rattle can. That hammered-look stuff is cool too. Spray painting to get shiny coats without runs or sags is something of an art, but can produce plenty good enough results for any real offroad rig. Have fun, and protect yourself from dust and fumes; wear gloves when working with chemicals.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

i want pictures... Personally i take WAY more pride in going the route that you are than just pulling out a credit card or cash and paying for it that way. time spent is time appreciated... Thats what jeeping is all about. Budget building.
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

got a question

its easy to find stuff for tj yj cj but where can i try to get stuff for my xj. it seems like i can never get a deal because everything i want wont fit. i would love to find some low budget stuff that i could add to or change up. point me in the right direction.

Comment

one more thing

also if u want to paint ur work try this stuff called hammerite. they sell it a dunn edwards and other paint supply. we use it on the job for painted structural steel. pretty durable. reasonable price. its like rhinolined paint. did it on my rail and everyone wants it. best part is u can touch it up. un like powder coat. its really thick so touch up blending is unnoticeable. it comes in a five gallon bucket and ready to go. buy a 30 dollar sprayer (harbor freight) hvlp 1.4 tip and have at it.

Comment

You might try the XJ board:

http://www.naxja.org/

Rich

Comment

thanks ol man

Comment

Working...
                        X