Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Frame of Doom

Are you sick and tired of having to R&R your windshield glass and frame every time you roll? I know I am! That's why I developed the

:bolt::bolt:Windshield Frame of Doom:bolt::bolt:

It's a lightweight affair, actually--weighs less than a 4.0L engine block. Witness the development of a revolution in idiot-resistant Jeep technology.

Motivation:
    My current piece of crap held up much better then the first one did--thanks to the cage (and a merciful God)--but if I rear ended someone that cracked glass would likely come flying right out. I'd be forced to drive with goggles again...

Rough Mockup:
    With some basic stuff tacked up, I can double check that it's going to fit the Jeep the way I want it to. The shape is built around the glass, so the angles at the base are 85*, and the angles at the top are 95*. Just add or subtract 5* to all your miters and it works out easily enough. I found the angles by placing a straight edge against the sides of the glass (which is radiused at the corners) and tracing lines onto the lid of the windshield glass box. Where the lines intersected, I used a carpenters' square to find the angle. Once you've found one angle, you know all of them, but I still checked each corner to quadruple check. One thing that made this a little trickier was the top edge of the glass: it's got a crown in it.

Inner Frame Core Welded
    More geometry trivia: all the angles of a polygon (shape made up of 3 or more straight sides) always add up to 360*. That also works out for miters. in a 4-sided polygon there would be 8 miters. For example, 8 x 45* = 360* In this case I used a combination of angles to achieve the shape I needed. The bottom 85* angles were achieved with (2) 40* miters on the bottom piece, and 45* miters on the bottoms ends of the two legs (40 + 45 = 85). The top 95* angles were achieved with (2) 50* miters on the top piece, and 45* miters on the top ends of the two legs. (45 + 50 = 95). Finally, 85 + 85 + 95 + 95 = 360, and that means you have an enclosed shape.

Prepping Inner Frame Core
    Prep work is one of the most important parts of welding stuff like this, and I'm kinda anal about it. I ground the welds out of the way on the glass side, and took the finish down to the shiny metal. Before welding I wiped it down with acetone to remove any loose stuff or oil. I use brake cleaner too.

Positioning Inner Frame Base
    Adding a 1" x 1" piece to the bottom makes the design a little more forgiving for tolerances; it will be easier to fit the glass, my retaining mechanisms, hinges, etc. You'll see...

Inner Frame Base Stitch Welded
    Welding creates stresses within the welded piece; those stresses can distort your work. Stitch welding can mitigate that problem. I was a little jiggly here, and some of my beads ended up a little wormy.

Positioning Lower Retainer Spacer
    This 1/4" x 1/2" stuff is straighter than puby hairs. I had to repeatedly move, clamp, and tack weld until I straightened it out to my satisfaction.

Upper and Lower Retainer Spacers Tacked Welded
    Those are some deep, sturdy little tacks, but I added stitch welds anyway (not shown). There is no room or need for retainer spacers on the sides. Silicon and friction should hold the glass firmly in place (more shall be revealed below). Just for good measure, however, I'm going to weld some little triangles into the corners so that the retainer spacers wrap around the sides a little; the radiused corners of the glass make this possible. The next step was to grind all the welds smooth and flat to accommodate the glass.

Retainer Mockup Showing Spacer
    Retainer spaces are 1/2" wide, and 1/4" thick, which not coincidentally, is the same thickness as the windshield glass. :thumbs_up The retainer is made of 1/4" x 2" hot rolled flat stock. There is enough clearance between the glass and the retainer spacer for a bead of silicon to act as a cushion. The welds on the inside of the retainer spacer had to be ground down; otherwise one would surely hit the edge of the glass and break it.

Retainer Mockup
    Since I don't have to worry about the ends of a tube to plug up, I went with a different, more forgiving miter for the flatstock retainer. If I had needed a square shape, I could have just cut the pieces straight across (90*). Instead, I cut all the miters at 85*. For the top and bottom, the angles point inward, towards the top. For the sides, this means the miter angles are parallel for each leg.

That's my progress so far. Today I had to go to town to refill my MIG bottle, get sugar, coffee, salt, and hard tack. I'll post up more as I go...
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 06-14-09, 10:14 AM. Reason: Apparently can't do addition after 1am
    holes = cowbell

Sweet, is this just for wheeling? Or will you run it as a street driver as well. Thinking of something like this for the buggy, cant wait to see the finished product.
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
      Sweet, is this just for wheeling? Or will you run it as a street driver as well. Thinking of something like this for the buggy, cant wait to see the finished product.
      Thanks. Street and wheeling. Heck if it were a trailer queen, I might be tempted to eliminate glass altogether. One of the fires under my tail is that I want to be able to drive it on the street without having to worry about getting pulled over for a cracked up windshield.
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Functional but not Finished

My windshield frame is now functional. There are a dozen and one things that remain to be done to finish the job, but right now I need at least one of my vehicles to be drivable (somewhere other than Anza, aka the Wild West).

My new windshield glass is cracked. It had slipped out of the box and hit the driver's side top corner against the concrete floor. I epoxied it up, and was planning on using a kit to fill in the small remaining cracks. When I installed the frame with the glass in and retainer on, the acorn nuts on the inside bottom were hitting some sheet metal I'd been too easy on. I think the afternoon sun had baked my brain; instead of unbolting the frame and addressing the sheet metal directly, I whacked away at the outer frame with an impact hammer. Next thing I know there's a big crack from the driver's side going roughly 45 deg to the bottom. I didn't cry...honest.

I'm still waiting on some tube ends from Ballistic Fab that I was supposed to have two weeks ago (seems to be a pattern when I order from them. "Oh yeah, we have it in stock--we'll ship it out today!").

I also need to weld on some tabs for the windshield wipers (Oh yes, some sheet metal removal was necessary), and for side mirrors and lights. I also need to trim the cowling (the sheet metal thingy between the windshield and hood), because it's sticking up a little too high on the bottom tube and also covering 1/2 of the hinges or so.

Tying it in to the floor didn't work out as cleanly as I'd hoped. There are several layers of sheet metal in the area where the factory hinge bolts to the body. I decided to run separate tubes placed slightly inboard; I can make the joint stronger than the tubing itself; but in a roll the floor tubes may deform the bottom tube somewhat. When the floor tie-ins are in place, I'll weld the windshield frame to the rollcage (currently bolts); add two more rollcage tie-ins on each side; and weld the corners of the windshield frame to what's left of the lower factory hinges.

You'll notice I ended up with a split window look (kinda like WW-II Jeeps). I added a truss to correct the distortion I'd tried so diligently to avoid. After several hours on the road in various conditions, I'm kind of amazed how invisible the center truss while driving. Hopefully the highway bandits/ CHP won't use it as an excuse to extort more money from me. Whatever, it's there to stay.

Hope y'all like it!

Last edited by inVERt'D; 07-16-09, 11:02 AM. Reason: Remembered the word cowling; fixed grammatical errors
        holes = cowbell

Comment

That is to cool.Like the split and it's still hinged.Great fab job,looks like it came that way OEM.
          Dennis
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

looks great. what kind of glass did you use?
            Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
              That is to cool.Like the split and it's still hinged.Great fab job,looks like it came that way OEM.
              Dennis
              You're too kind, but thanks!

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940
              what kind of glass did you use?
              I used a stock TJ windshield I bought off eBay. You know, the kind that act as rock magnets and break really easily? I've had terrible luck with windshields over the past few years...
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Not bad. If you break the glass again I would go with some Speed Glass. A little more money but it won't break again.
                Check out .

Comment

That came out really well. I had my doubts when you first told me about it. But that is really slick. Looks much stronger, like it maybe could survive a flop or two.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Kudos man. That is way cool.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                      Not bad. If you break the glass again I would go with some Speed Glass. A little more money but it won't break again.
                      I just may do that. As noted above, the glass is already broken. If I'd spent the $300 on a Speedglass windshield several windshields ago, I'd be ahead of the game. At this point, I'm pretty much fed up with the craptastic eggshell D.O.T. windshield; IMO it serves no purpose on an open Jeep except to break. I'm also going to look into some M10 coated Lexan--could probably cut my own windshield for a lot cheaper than Speedglass (which is, of course coated Lexan).

Originally posted by ou812
                      That came out really well. I had my doubts when you first told me about it. But that is really slick. Looks much stronger, like it maybe could survive a flop or two.
                      Thanks, just never, ever, doubt me again . So does this mean you're ready to start cutting on your Jeep?

I am confident that it's much stronger--much stronger than the Jeep body too, which is why I feel floor tie-ins are imperative. Heck, if I end up going Lexan/ polycarbonate (which seems very likely), I'll probably tie it into the frame, along with the rest of my cage.

Originally posted by dezertdog
                      Kudos man. That is way cool.
                      Thanks man, I'm diggin your flexed-out stock Jeep (avatar)!
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                        I just may do that. As noted above, the glass is already broken. If I'd spent the $300 on a Speedglass windshield several windshields ago, I'd be ahead of the game. At this point, I'm pretty much fed up with the craptastic eggshell D.O.T. windshield; IMO it serves no purpose on an open Jeep except to break. I'm also going to look into some M10 coated Lexan--could probably cut my own windshield for a lot cheaper than Speedglass (which is, of course coated Lexan).
                        I was thinking of doing the same thing.
                        http://www.mcmaster.com/#8707k125/=2rxdif
                        Check out .

Comment

Windshield Frame of Doom, Part 2: The Tie-Ins

Well, after having the Windshield Frame of Doom on my rig for about 5 months, I'm finally getting around to doing the tie-ins. There were actually other things I'd wanted to prioritize first, but without going into a lot of detail, suffice it to say that it's winter in the mountains and my full doors couldn't go back on until I had this thing sorted out.

Some thoughts on this project. This project is kind of a PITA, and requires a lot of cutting and welding in awkward places--not for the faint of heart. Next time I think I'll do something simpler like installing tank tracks or VTOL jet engines. Speaking of tanks, this thing is stoopid heavy. When I get my aluminum technology up to speed I plan to fab another retainer out of 1/4 aluminum. After that will be an aluminum inner frame.

Ok, back to the tie-ins. The first thing I did was design some floor plates for the tubes coming down from the windshield frame. I figured I'd make them integral with the Poison Spider plate stantions at the A-column. The D-shaped shapes inside the floor plate outline are some feet that I later added to the design. After cutting the tubes I decided I wanted the frame to sit just a tad higher than before, so these serve as shims. They'll also help spread the load of an impact. Both the floor plates and the feet are 3/16" steel.

You'll notice I had to cut away the inner wall of the tub. That's the reason for the shape of the floor plates.

The next order of business was to weld on the down tubes. I'd originally envisioned the outer windshield frame side tubes coming down to the floor, but that proved impossible using 1-3/4" tubing and a stock-width Jeep windshield frame. Here's the compromise. Note the spiffy Ballistic Fabrication tube caps. They're heavy (solid machined steel) but they look cool.

Next I welded the lower windshield frame hinges that are no longer hinges to the body. Welding the inside sucked because there was no room for my MIG's stinger. I had been thinking of brazing the outside edges, but I just kept welding. All the nuts and bolts on my Jeep are now only for looks--everything is welded on. This made me think I should just weld my doors on like the General Lee. As cool as it would be to get in and out like Bo and Luke Duke, it would probably lead to me lowering the Jeep, and a lowered Jeep is an abomination.

The next step will be to lower the frame down and weld it to the cage, the feet to the floor plates, and the bottom corners to the lower used-to-be-hinges. Then I'll need to add some metal to the back of the frame so my full doors will seal. I'll also add some cosmetic metal just to make it even heavier, as well as a couple of new tubes from the roll cage A-Pillars to the outer frame tubes. More exciting photos to come!
                          Last edited by inVERt'D; 12-22-09, 04:47 AM.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Wowzers! You are serious business
                            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

man, that thing turned out really good looking! I like the whole thing you got going on there, and the amount of reckless abandon in cuttin' up the jeep to get the job done- I'm speechless. Really, I've got windshield/rollcage envy right now.
                              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X