Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fab my own cage

Started my own cage today about 1/2 way done got 6 hours into it so far. still need to add the x to the top and do the rear. few pics of the cage

That looks awesome!!!

Comment

Nice job Larry!!! Did you fab it all up or use a kit?
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

no kit all my own fab work on the cage. Damn Josh got me started cutting on the jeep and now Im out of control

Comment

Dog Man, out of curiosity, I'm wondering why you used plate around the dash. It appears you can bend pipe (although I only see 1 bend), and have decent fabrication skills. If you look at the full a-pillar cages, there is actually a nice path behind the vents, so you don't lose any functionality by cutting a small hole in the top of the dash. Nothing needs to be removed or anything:

I have pictures from my GenRight install here:
          http://jeep.matandtiff.com/projects/cage/step2/

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I am just adding on to the cage not building a new cage. took the easy way with the plate should of went through the dash but it does go to the floor just like yours. You will not see to many bends in the cage, remember every bend you do is a week spot for the cage to fail that is where most people fail when building cages... you will see alot of cages with all kinds of bends to make them look all cool but they will fail every time not a wise thing to do. I have to keep the rear seat in the jeep so I can not build the cage to race spec. still trying to get as many cross bars as I can and still have room in the rear not very easy to do... and yes I can bend tube I am 6.2 so I need the head room on the top of the cage.

Comment

You are correct that bends are usually the weak points of the cage, especially useless bends and acute angle joints. Since joints are inevitable, I would think that making certain joints using a bend (especially mandrel bends) are probably stronger than a welded together joint, especially with obtuse angles. I was thinking that you might get a little more strength with a full tube a-pillar rather than the plate. I have no idea how much, or if it's worth it.

Great looking cage though, I wish I could fabricate... I could have saved a bunch of money.

Comment

Just a comment... Nice Cage but isnt the inverted V in the center of the window illegal? For a street legal Jeep, its obstructing View, Just a observation. But It looks cool. Nice Work BTW
                2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

Materdaddy yes a full tube to the a-pillar is the way to go that is stronger. as far as legal v in window just tell the chp this is to help save your life due to a crappy factory cage and have him sit in the jeep to see that it does not obstruct the view... still might get a ticket but that is up to them..

Comment

Larry,

Nice job on the cage. Wish I could weld and fab.

Mitch

Comment

Nice cage.
                      Makes me want to try it.
                      Not much of a welder though.
                      Wouldn't want to trust my family's safety to one of my welds if you know what I mean!

Good looking cage though.
                      Curious about the 'V' in the windshield.
                      Is that necessary for strength?

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by New2image View Post
                        Just a comment... Nice Cage but isnt the inverted V in the center of the window illegal? For a street legal Jeep, its obstructing View, Just a observation. But It looks cool. Nice Work BTW
                        That would suck to get a ticket for that!

Comment

I like the hair clip! It's multi-colored and shiny! :yay:

Seriously, nice work on the cage. Although I have seen them before, I still like the A-pillar plates. My "sport-cage" is a combo mix of factory, Toys by Troy and Rock Hard 4x4. I know, it's kind of a lame mix and match, but I have added to it over time and as the budget allowed.
                          You have motivated me to anchor the main factory hoop to the frame. I was surprised to see how easy it will be.
                          Money pit!

Comment

I got to see this cage in person... Larry did an awesome job!!!

Comment

Looks sick.... What are you using for tube 1.5 dom??
                              Its no fun without family

Comment

Working...
                              X